Finland International Moving Services
Having plans of moving to Finland? As you will discover, moving overseas is tedious, time-consuming, mentally and physically straining. A lot of preparation and other complex tasks are involved not forgetting the stringent international immigration rules and regulations to be followed. It is to avoid all these hassles that makes many people opt to work with professionals.
Moving to Finland Cost & Time Examples
|Jacksonville to Espoo||$4,100- $5,700||$7,700- $10,400||4-6 weeks|
|Detroit to Espoo||$4,200- $5,900||$8,000- $10,700||4-6 weeks|
|Dallas to Helsinki||$4,400- $5,900||$8,100- $10,900||4-6 weeks|
|Atlanta to Helsinki||$4,400- $6,000||$8,100- $10,900||4-6 weeks|
|San Jose to Helsinki||$4,600- $6,300||$8,600- $11,700||5-7 weeks|
|Seattle to Espoo||$4,600- $6,300||$8,600- $11,600||5-7 weeks|
|Columbus to Helsinki||$4,800- $6,400||$8,600- $11,700||4-6 weeks|
|Portland to Helsinki||$4,900- $6,500||$9,000- $12,200||5-7 weeks|
|Chicago to Helsinki||$4,900- $6,700||$9,000- $12,100||4-6 weeks|
|Las Vegas to Helsinki||$5,100- $7,100||$9,600- $13,000||5-7 weeks|
*Please note that these estimates do not include taxes, customs fees & duties, insurance & quarantine inspections. They assume easy access to both pick up and drop-off addresses and do not allow for special items such as pianos.
Estimated Weight (based on home size): 1BR=2600 lbs - 3900 lbs 2BR=3900 lbs - 5200 lbs 3BR=6500 lbs - 9100 lbs 4BR=9100 lbs - 14300 lbs 5BR=11700 lbs - 19500 lbs
Duties when importing household goods into Finland
If you’ll be relocating to Finland, you’re likely wondering if you’ll need to pay import duties on your household belongings. The regular import duty will be exempted, if you’ve owned and used your goods for at least six months. You also must have resided outside of Finland during the last 12 months. You have up to one year to bring in your belongings, after moving into the country. Finally, customs requires that you don’t transfer ownership, lend out to others or get rid of these items for two years at minimum (1).
Paperwork when importing household goods into Finland
Customs will ask to see your passport when processing your shipment. You also must provide customs Form 45 (an import declaration) - which you can fill out in English, Finnish or Swedish. A comprehensive inventory is also required, and it must have an accurate number (for goods with multiple amounts). This inventory can also be written in English, Finnish or Swedish (2).
A copy of your lease agreement or purchase contract for a residence within Finland is necessary as well. Customs will also request a letter from your employer and you should file a Power of Attorney (3).
Duties when importing vehicles into Finland
Customs does allow duty-free importation of personal vehicles, if you meet the required criteria. You must have owned and used this vehicle outside of the country, for a minimum of six months. The monetary amount that can be exempted from duty, is currently set at $34,000 USD. Anything over this figure will incur import duty at the standard rate. Finally, if you receive exemption, you aren’t allowed to sell or lend out the vehicle for a minimum of three years.
If your vehicle isn’t eligible to have duty waived, the typical rate stands at 50 - 60%. This amount isn’t charged on the value of your vehicle - but rather on the purchase price for a comparable new model (at what you’d pay in Finland for it) (4).
Regulations when importing vehicles into Finland
You should be aware, that other sources have somewhat different information regarding importation (5). The exact amount of duty exemption you’ll receive could vary from the figures listed above - so it’s best to talk with customs about the fees you’ll be charged. Also, for your vehicle to be authorized to enter Finland, it must adhere to European emission standards (6).
Paperwork when importing vehicles into Finland
Specialized customs forms are required for your vehicle, including nr. 72s-08 and nr. 53s-03. You also must provide form nr. 27As if you’ll be importing a car, or nr. 27Bs if you’ll be bringing a motorcycle into Finland (7). Other documentation is also needed, such as the purchase invoice for the vehicle and proof of insurance coverage. You must show a Certificate of Conformity and your Employment Certificate as well (8).
This treatment of the paperwork required to move your goods through Finnish customs isn’t all-encompassing. Additional import regulations are also enforced, for shipments of household belongings and vehicles. Contact customs directly to verify, that you’re following all the requirements needed for your goods to enter the country.
Tips on how to make your international move easier
- Early preparations: Start your preparations about three months before the day of moving. This will give you enough time to pack your belongings in an orderly manner. It will also give you enough time to apply for important documents. You will also be saved from the last-minute rush and especially delays with customs.
- Documents: Make sure you research on the documents you need. These include a US Government issued passport and a visa. Most European countries do not require a US citizen to have a visa for the first 90 days and Finland is no exception. However, if you are moving to stay there for a longer duration, ensure you apply for the appropriate visa before leaving. For more information, visit the Embassy of Finland’s website.
- Working and business: Ensure that you have made plans on how to earn an income while overseas. You may decide to operate your local businesses remotely or apply for a job. Doing so early helps you to deal with whatever legal requirements there may be such as having a work permit. If you do decide to set-up a business abroad, make sure you understand the business climate and applicable laws.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Why you need a professional moving company when relocating overseas
As you have found out, moving overseas is a complex undertaking that needs time and a lot of preparations. If not handled professionally, you may take months just to get ready. You will also be at risk of damaging your belongings or even losing them. Professional movers come with the right experience and tools to handle all these complex tasks at the shortest time possible. They help you to efficiently move all your belongings. This saves you time since you do not have to spend months making the preparations. They will also get your belongings to your destination safely.
How to find the best international moving company
At first, you will have a lot of recommendations from friends, family, and your research online. But, to find the best mover when looking for Finland International Moving Services, you need to consider the following:
- Is your preferred moving company duly registered?
- What is their insurance package like? Does it cater to goods while they are on transit?
- You will get superior service if you choose a company that has achieved the highest service standards and have the accreditations to boot.
- Compare the different rates and settle for a company that is offering the most affordable quality service.
- Read customer reviews online and make a decision based on comments made by others.
Our Finland International Moving Services
This is what we offer:
- Packing/unpacking: We load and offload your valuables for you.
- Corporate moves: We offer office and business relocation services.
- Apartment moves: We will also handle your switch between apartments.
- Planning and preparation: We will give you information to help you get prepared before the day of moving. Such information includes how to package your belongings.
- Visa and immigration services: We will assist you if you need to apply for Finland visa and immigration services.
- Housing assistance: We will help you to find a suitable house.
- Family services: We will locate family-friendly service providers such as schools for you.
- Auto transport: We are an international auto shipping company. Rest assured that with us, your vehicle is in good hands.
- Finland container shipping
Why A-1 Auto Transport?
We have three decade long experience in international moving. During this time, thousands of clients have benefited from our services. So, whether you are looking to retire or to just change locations, leave the details to us. Our customers also trust us because of our extensive knowledge and information regarding moving abroad.
Talk to us
If you have decided to relocate and settle in Finland, we are the right shipping partner for you. Talk to us by contacting our experts on our toll-free line 888-509-3213. Also, you can get free estimates of our international moving services by filling-out the form at the top of this page.
(1) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Finland” page.
(3) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Finland” page.
(4) Found on Moverscom “Customs Regulations - Finland” page.
(6) Found on Moverscom “Customs Regulations - Finland” page.
(7) Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Finland” page.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.