- Colombia International Moving Services
- How Much Does It Cost To Move To Colombia?
- Duties And Taxes
- Visas And Other Legal Fees
- Moving To Colombia Cost & Time Examples
- Duties Charged For Importation Of Household Items
- Regulations Enforced On Household Items
- Paperwork Needed For Household Items
- Duties Charged For Importation Of Vehicles
- Paperwork Needed For Vehicles
- Tips On How To Make Your International Move Easier
- Why You Need A Professional Moving Company When Relocating Overseas
- How To Find The Best International Moving Company
- Our Colombia International Moving Services
- Why A-1 Auto Transport?
- Get In Touch!
Colombia International Moving Services
Relocation to a different country is perceived as a daunting task. A lot of goods need to be transported and a lot of documents have to be processed. It is therefore advisable to seek international moving services from professionals. If you need assistance shipping a car to Colombia or transporting your household items or office inventory, a qualified moving company should be up to the task.
How Much Does It Cost to Move to Colombia?
The cost of moving internationally to Colombia can range anywhere from $2,000-$12,000 depending on a variety of factors such as the size of move, total distance, route, transportation method, and current market trends.
The overall distance to be traveled while moving to Colombia is an important consideration. This means that the higher the expense of moving, the greater the distance. Additionally, the weight, volume, and size of your belongings will impact whether your relocation will be more or less expensive. Moving a 1-2 bedroom home costs between $3,800 and $8,800 on average.
The same is true for the route you would take for your move. Moving to Colombia will be more expensive if your goods are transported via an unusual route. However, if you travel over a frequent route, the cost of relocating will be lower. Finally, the method you use to carry your belongings has an impact on the overall cost of your move. Other aspects to consider include the following:
Duties and Taxes
Several shipping policies govern several countries, including Colombia. So, if you're going to Colombia, you'll have to pay customs and taxes based on the value of your things.
You may require storage for your items for a variety of reasons. Your goods may arrive at your destination before you, forcing you to store them. You may perhaps be in the process of locating a new house in Colombia and need to put your belongings in storage. The more items you have, the more storage space you will require and the higher your storage rates will be.
Visas and Other Legal Fees
Countries in the European Union do not require visas to enter or exit the Union. However, because Colombia is not a member of the EU, you would need to obtain a visa for whatever reason, whether study or job, before moving there. Obtaining and renewing a visa to enter Colombia will increase your relocation expenditures over time.
Moving to Colombia Cost & Time Examples
|Miami to Medellín||$3,700- $6,100||$6,900- $11,400||4-7 weeks|
|New York to Bogotá||$3,700- $6,300||$6,900- $11,500||4-7 weeks|
|Dallas to Barranquilla||$3,800- $6,500||$7,200- $11,900||4-6 weeks|
|Seattle to Medellín||$4,100- $6,800||$7,700- $12,600||4-8 weeks|
|LA to Bogotá||$4,100- $6,900||$7,700- $12,700||4-8 weeks|
|Portland to Medellín||$4,400- $7,200||$8,100- $13,300||4-8 weeks|
|Phoenix to Barranquilla||$4,500- $7,400||$8,300- $13,700||4-8 weeks|
|Columbus to Bogotá||$4,500- $7,600||$8,300- $13,700||4-7 weeks|
|Memphis to Bogotá||$4,500- $7,600||$8,300- $13,700||4-7 weeks|
|Denver to Bogotá||$6,100- $10,200||$11,300- $18,400||4-8 weeks|
*Please note that these estimates do not include taxes, customs fees & duties, insurance & quarantine inspections. They assume easy access to both pick up and drop-off addresses and do not allow for special items such as pianos.
Estimated Weight (based on home size): 1BR=2600 lbs - 3900 lbs 2BR=3900 lbs - 5200 lbs 3BR=6500 lbs - 9100 lbs 4BR=9100 lbs - 14300 lbs 5BR=11700 lbs - 19500 lbs
Duties charged for importation of household items
Though some countries waive import duty for used household belongings - Colombia isn’t among them. When bringing your items into the country, you’ll pay the standard duty rate of 20%. A value-added tax (VAT) of 16% is also assessed, and storage fees while your shipment awaits processing are also charged.
Regulations enforced on household items
Importing your household goods is only permitted, if your primary residence has been abroad for a minimum of the last 2 years. You’re also restricted to a single shipment from your origin country. Customs also enforces a time limit, which is 120 days after or 30 days before you enter the country (1).
Paperwork needed for household items
The documentation requirements for importation are rather extensive, starting with your passport (or a notarized copy of all the pages). You also must provide Form 530 (Declaracion de Viajeros O De Equipajes No Acompanados), which you’ll fill out during your entry into Colombia. Be sure to get it stamped by customs the day you arrive - as failure to do so can cause problems when clearing your shipment.
You’ll also need a typed packing list and you shouldn’t include the monetary values of your goods on this document. It should, however, list the make, model and serial number of all electronic goods. Finally, a Work Visa good for a minimum of one year, must be turned over to customs (2).
Duties charged for importation of vehicles
Colombia only permits the import of new vehicles by foreigners (except for diplomats). This means the vehicle must have been manufactured in the year of import, and have no miles on the odometer. You’ll pay import duty ranging from 15% to 85%, and the exact rate will depend upon your specific vehicle (3).
Paperwork needed for vehicles
In order to bring your vehicle into the country, you’ll need a verified Import Permit. The purchase invoice or receipt for the vehicle is also necessary documentation. Customs will also request your Bill of Lading, and the vehicle’s title and registration from the origin country (4).
Colombian customs has more paperwork requirements and many additional regulations apply, to both your vehicle and household belongings. It’s imperative that you speak to customs and an experienced international moving company like A1 Auto Transport - so you don’t overlook any necessary arrangements before relocating.
Tips on how to make your international move easier
As earlier mentioned, a lot of tasks are undertaken when making an international move. Relocation may be too much for someone who is not experienced with all that is required. The following are tips on how to make your international move easier:
- Research on the best international moving company that will be able to deliver the service you seek. It is also advisable to be familiar with custom rules that govern your destination country; the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) website has helpful resources.
- Ensure your goods are contained in proper packaging that will keep them well protected.
- Know which documents are required and prepare them well.
- Establish a good relationship with the shipping company to ensure that the move will be smooth. Clear communication will enable them take action on your requests.
Why you need a professional moving company when relocating overseas
When making a move to a new country, you will require someone who is familiar with the rules that govern the country. It is also better to have a stress-free move and leave the packing and unpacking to a trusted and qualified team. You will be making a big move and may risk forgetting details- big and small.
By hiring Colombia International Moving Services from a professional moving company, you are guaranteed of a move that has all the details being looked into or acted upon by an experienced team.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods internationally. Call 888-241-3110 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
How to find the best international moving company
There are a good number of international moving companies around but you need to find the best. To do this, consider your top priorities while making the move. You do want a company that is forthright, experienced, and licensed to ship internationally. In this case, you want a company that is licensed to provide Colombia International Moving Services.
The things you have to look into include the company certifications and credentials from organizations such as BBB Certification and the America Moving and Storage Association. You can also get an estimate of their costs by requesting for quotes. For convenience, consider if the company has offices or a warehouse at your destination country. Find out if the company has insurance and if they cover third parties.
Our Colombia international moving services
- Packing/unpacking: Leave this work to us and you will just move from one home or office to another without a hitch.
- Commercial moving: Relocating big or small businesses is our business.
- Office moves: We know it is essential that you open your office in time and we will get your inventory to your new office in good time and in good condition.
- Apartment moves: Moving to a new home in Colombia is stress-free, when you settle on us as your moving partner of choice.
- Planning and preparation: It is a big move so you have to be well prepared and we are here to help you factor in all the details
- Visa and immigration services: We are experienced and will guide you on all details related to your move
- Housing assistance: With us, moving from one house to another is no big feat.
- Family services: We offer tailor-made services to match the needs of your family.
- Auto transport services: Your new or antique automobile will be in safe hands with us.
Why A-1 Auto Transport?
We at A-1 Auto Transport are set to meet and exceed your expectations. We have experience in shipping globally and are more than willing to offer you with the much needed guidance. International moving should not overwhelm you or break your bank. That is why we offer you with the most competitive pricing and top notch Colombia International Moving Services. Reliability and professionalism is a guarantee when you choose us.
Get in Touch!
We would love to hear from you! Please fill out the form at the top of the page. You can also give us a call on 888-241-3110. Our very able team is available 24/7 and is ready to answer any question you may have. You can also drop a message here and we will get back to you.
(1) Found on Atlas Int’l “Importing Personal Property Into Colombia” page.