Moving to Belgium from America

Deliver Your Household Stress Free

Compare our rates to or from: any location in the world

  • Deliver Your Home Stress Free and Have Peace of Mind
  • Licensed, Bonded and Insured Carriers Near You
  • Award Winning Service, Always on Time

Get instant quotes using our form, or call:

House Moving Quote Calculator
Moving to Belgium from America
Moving to Belgium from America

Moving to Belgium from America? You are in for a treat. Belgium is a small country, it’s true, but it is rich in culture and history. What’s more, it is ideally located just a short distance from many of Europe’s most desirable destinations. Just a few short hours from London, Paris, Amsterdam, and much more. 

Importing your household goods and vehicles to Belgium can be rather complex. You probably have a lot of questions about what you can bring, how you can bring it, and what happens when you get there. 

Must I pay taxes to import my household goods to Belgium?

Usually not. Your household goods and personal effects can be imported to Belgium duty free within 12 months of your arrival in the country. There are requirements that must be met for your imports to be duty free. You must have owned and used the goods being imported for at least six months prior to your move, and you must move your goods into Belgium within 12 months of your arrival. If you are moving a second household (vacation home, investment property, etc.), on the other hand, you will need to pay taxes and duty upon your arrival. 

If you are moving your belongings yourself, you will need to contact the Belgian Consulate in your home country to get a certificate confirming your transfer. If you hire a company to move you, you will need to get a signed and stamped declaration from your employer in Belgium. Be prepared to show customs officials a Certificate of Residence to avoid having to pay substantial taxes. 

Required Documents: 

  • Valid passport
  • Residence permit or work permit
  • Proof of your residency outside of the country of Belgium for a minimum of 12 months
  • Bill of lading/air waybill
  • Comprehensive valued inventory
  • Detailed packing list
  • Power of Attorney (this is intended to give the customs agent authority to arrange customs clearance)
  • Certificate of Residence (obtained from officials in Belgium)
  • Certificate of Residence Cancellation (obtained from your point of origin)
  • Declaration of Customer

How can I import my vehicle to Belgium? 

You are welcome to import your vehicle to Belgium, provided that you do so within six months of becoming a resident. This part is really important. If you procrastinate and try to handle the paperwork for importing your vehicle after you have been in the country for six months or longer, you may face fines and penalties. 

There are a number of steps to the import process, so it may be beneficial to work with professionals. If you feel confident you can handle it on your own, read on for a quick explainer. 

The first thing you must do to import your vehicle to Belgium is contact the local Douane, or customs officials. You will need to provide the Douane with some documentation, including your car registration, proof of your application for car insurance (this document is called an Aanvraag aan Verzekering), and finally, proof that you are a registered Belgian resident (aka the Bewijs van Inschriving)

Presenting these documents to the local Douane will earn you the coveted ‘pink form’ that will help you avoid import charges for your vehicle. Well done, but not done yet. Next you will need to obtain two more documents.

Certificate of Conformity – You will need to visit the nearest dealer for your type of vehicle that you can find. The dealer will need to certify that your vehicle meets and conforms to standards. This process can take a lot of time. Be prepared for delays and make extra copies of all documents in case they get lost in the shuffle. 

Certificate of Roadworthiness – You will also need to visit a local Belgian keuring center to receive a certificate of roadworthiness (locally known as a keuringsbewijs)This process is also rather time-consuming. You will likely need to wait in line for your certificate. Make sure to set aside sufficient time. 

Once you have all these steps completed, your ‘pink form’ will be stamped, which you send in to receive your registration plate.  You will receive one plate to mount on the back of your vehicle, and your garage can create a duplicate for the front.

Hire a professional for a stress-free move

You don’t have to handle a move from America to Belgium alone. At A1 Auto Transport we have a team of dedicated professionals who are experts in international shipping rules. They will be able to work with you every step of the way to ensure that your paperwork is correct, your customs declaration goes off without a hitch, and your goods are safely delivered to your chosen destination. Contact us for your free, no-obligation quote today to get started. 

Joe Webster
Written By:Joe Webster
Connect with Joe Webster on facebookConnect with Joe Webster on linkedin

Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing. 

After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood. 

With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.

Ship Your Vehicle With A-1 Auto Today
Get an Instant Quote

Or Call Us Today and Speak to Directly to Our Sales Team:

Our Partners:

Better Business Bureau Accredited
FMCSA Member
INC. 500 Member
VeriSign Secured
AMSA Member

A-1 Auto Transport is a disclosed agent for the following shipping companies:

Trans Global Auto Logistics, Inc.
3401 E Randol Mill Rd
Arlington, TX 76011
NO. 018191NF
CFR Rinkens
15501 Texaco Avenue
Paramount, CA 90723
NO. 013055NF
ABC Worldwide LLC
2840 NW 2nd Ave #105
Boca Raton, FL 33431
NO. 025472F
CSI Logistics
435 Division Street
Elizabeth, NJ 07201
FMC 22206
Intl Cargo
45 Campus drive
Edison, NJ 08837
NO. 17858N
ShipYourCarNow LLC
1160 South Rogers Circle Suite 1
Boca Raton, FL 33487
NO. 025646
Merco Air & Ocean Cargo, Inc.
6 Fir Way
Cooper City, FL 33026
NO. 021869F
Copyright © 1988-2020, A-1 Auto Transport - All Rights Reserved.