- How Can I Import Personal Items To The Uk?
- How Do I Import Personal Items To The Uk?
- How Do I Import A Vehicle To The Uk?
- Do I Have To Pay Taxes When Importing A Vehicle To The Uk?
- Stop Worrying About Brexit
The first thing to know about moving from Belgium to the UK is that if you want it to be as smooth as possible, you need to go right now. That is to say that your best chance of a seamless move is to make your move prior to Brexit. Prior to January 1, 2021, your move will be governed by the sweet, simple rules among EU member countries. Come January 1st, those rules may change entirely, depending on the result of negotiations between Belgium and the UK.
Is that a big deal? Do you need to be worried? Probably not. While it is very likely that there will be some minor rule changes and adjustments made after Brexit, the changes will likely be of minimal impact to consumers outside of new passport requirements. Since you are likely not going to make it before that deadline, we will talk about the UK’s general import requirements. Check with local customs for their guidance before beginning any move.
What is it you need to know about moving from Belgium to the UK? Let’s get started.
How Can I Import Personal Items to the UK?
If you are moving from Belgium to the UK, you will have a few choices to make.
What are your shipping options? You can ship your belongings over land – Europe has one of the best railway systems globally; and over the sea – the UK has multiple ports on the English Channel. You could even fly your goods directly to the UK, although this option is cost-prohibitive for many consumers.
If you decide to ship your household goods and want help from the experts, get in touch with A1 Auto Transport to get the service and support you need for a seamless move.
How Do I Import Personal Items to the UK?
If you have been a resident of Belgium for at least the past year and intend to move your primary personal residence to the United Kingdom, you can import your personal goods tax and duty-free.
The UK does not currently have special requirements for importing goods from other EU nations. These rules are subject to change pending Brexit negotiations. Contact your local customs officials for updated guidance.
How do I import a vehicle to the UK?
In order to import your vehicle from Belgium to the UK, you must complete certain steps. You must complete these steps as soon as you bring a vehicle into the UK permanently. Be advised that these import rules are subject to change pending the finalization of Brexit agreements between the two countries. The UK’s status as part of the European Union will cease as of January 1, 2021, which is when new import rules and guidelines will come into play. Contact your local customs officials for updated guidance before you begin your move.
- HM Revenue and Customs: Within two weeks of your vehicle’s arrival in the UK, you must contact HM (Her Majesty’s) Revenue and Customs. You can use the Notification of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA) service to report the arrival of your vehicle.
- VAT and Duty: If HMRC advises you to do so, you must pay VAT and duty. The Value-Added Tax (VAT) is calculated based on the value of the vehicle. Duty is paid for vehicles that are imported from countries outside of the EU.
- Vehicle Approval: Your vehicle will need to be evaluated according to safety and environmental standards. Get vehicle approval to show your vehicle meets safety and environmental standards. Belgian residents will need to register using the Individual Vehicle Approval scheme unless their vehicle has previously been registered in the UK. In that case, they will need to register using a Voluntary Individual Vehicle Approval scheme.
- Tax and Registration: Contact the DVLA to pay taxes and get your vehicle registered. It is here that you will be issued a plate for your vehicle.
- Insurance: You will need to purchase motor vehicle insurance coverage for your vehicle before you are permitted to drive it on UK roads.
Do I have to pay taxes when importing a vehicle to the UK?
The specific requirements for a tax-free import are as follows:
- You have been a resident of Belgium for no less than 12 months
- The vehicle has been fully paid for, including taxes. You will be required to provide proof of this.
- The vehicle was owned in Belgium for at least 6 months prior to transferring your residency to the UK.
If your vehicle is found to be ineligible for tax-free import, you will be charged 10% duty and 20% VAT for all vehicles made outside of the EU.
Stop worrying about Brexit
By working with professionals at A1 Auto Transport, you can forget all about Brexit and focus on the future. Our team of international shipping experts will keep track of all the fine print as it changes, so you don’t have to. Contact us today for your free, no-obligation shipping quote.