Moving Antique Cars from USA to Canada
The most successful and affordable way to ship a car to Canada is by hiring an auto transport company with a history in international transports. Using the latest shipping equipment and guaranteeing the condition of your antique car through insurance coverage, are just a few of the perks provided through a reliable shipping company. Trying to relocate an antique car is risky without the proper tools and training. In fact, it may even cost you more to ship the vehicle without the help of professionals.
The process of shipping antique cars to Canada takes time. Before the vehicle can even ship off to another country, they must meet all the requirements of the nation. Every country has their own set of import policies. Fortunately, longstanding transport companies with international shipping services are able to help you gather all the proof requested by Customs to gain import approval.
Preparing Your Antique Car for Transport
To ensure the safety of your antique car and those caring for its delivery, it’s wise to prepare as requested by the transporter. The international shipping process will go much smoother.
- Thoroughly clean the exterior and interior of the car. You want to ship it in its best condition.
- Remove anything in or outside of the antique vehicle that may be of value. This may include DVD players, GPS systems, personal items, hood ornaments, etc.
- Make sure the fuel tank is only ¼ full unless it is inoperable. All other fluids should be topped off unless otherwise specified by the transporter.
- Check the tire pressure and possibly take the vehicle to a mechanic for a tune up and any minor repairs before the transport to Canada.
- Take pictures of your antique car’s exterior and interior. Make sure to get close-ups of visible markings and damage. These pictures can be used as reference after the vehicle’s delivery when a final inspection of the vehicle is performed.
- Contact the Embassy of Canada to hear the country’s import requirements regarding your vehicle. Gather all the proper documentation for Customs and pay import taxes.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.