Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
Snowbirds, people who have a summer home in the north and a winter get-away in the south, end up going through a lot of moves. But rather than trying to blindly find your way through each time, here are some great tips and pieces of advice to help you become a professional mover in no time at all! This will help you be better prepared for your active lifestyle.
Packing Up For The Summer
When the summer is almost finished, its time to start thinking about packing up the northern home and heading down south. Here are some considerations as you go through this process:
- Bring all of your paperwork with you. This should include every form of identification that you may have, including driver’s licenses and even passport. You never know when something might be needed. Also remember all travel documents, especially if you will be traveling by plane or another type of common carrier.
- Consider a storage unit. This can be a good investment and a great way to protect your possessions, especially if you are only renting one of the homes, condos, or apartments.
- Lock it up and turn everything off. Not only do you want to lock everything (doors, windows, extra storage areas, etc), but make sure that utilities like the water have been turned off. Especially in a northern climate, pay attention to the thermostat, setting the temperature about 55 degrees. That will help to ensure pipes don’t freeze in the coming months.
- Enlist help to watch over things. This could be a neighbor who lives close enough to actually, physically walk over and check on the home once or twice a week. Of course, it should be someone you trust completely since you will be leaving a key with them. Have them call you if anything seems out of the ordinary and just stay in touch with them regularly.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Getting The Winter Accommodations Ready
Before moving down south, be sure to take care of a few odds and ends. While most of these may seem like common sense, they can be simple to overlook:
- Pack six months worth of clothes. Do not make the mistake of only packing shorts, sandals, and swimming trunks. Even in the south, you might still encounter the occasional cold night, so have a few things that might be more appropriate for a colder climate. Also, have everything you’ll need for both casual and formal situations.
- Learn about newly required documents. Believe it or not, some states want you to obtain a new driver’s license if you will be there for a certain period of time. The best way to figure all this out is by asking the Motor Vehicle Department in the new area.
- Make arrangements for your car transport. You also need to decide what to do with your car. If you are planning to fly, then be sure to schedule a date with an auto shipper. Just make sure to do these several months in advance to get the best rate and secure the date you need. This way, your car will be ready and be waiting for you upon your arrival.