Money Saving Tips For Your Cross Country Move
Moving across the country can be an especially trying process. Not only will this demand even more coordination, planning and organization, but it is also going to be a lot more expensive than a local move. Saving money is important, especially these days when every dollar counts. With that in mind, here are some money saving tips to help out on a cross country move.
Consider Moving Options:
While many people just automatically assume they should call some moving companies and start getting quotes, there are actually several good options. You might be able to:
- Hire professional movers—The tried and true method. They can handle everything, making your move contain less stress, but at a higher cost.
- Do it on your own—Simply consider renting a truck or van and load it up on your own. Ultimately, moving is a basic process, even if there is a lot to coordinate and organize.
- Pack yourself & hire help—You could pack everything yourself and then hire a container or shipping company to get your stuff to the new location. This is an interesting middle ground option that costs more than renting a truck yourself, but less than professional movers.
Obtain Multiple Quotes:
The general rule of thumb is to get at least three estimates or quotes if you are considering using movers or container / shipping companies. Of course, make your decision on more than just price. Other factors include:
- Company references—Actually ask for and then contact references. You can also do your own investigation and background check on the companies under consideration.
- Physical, in-person estimate—Never rely on a quote that was given without having a representative of the moving company actually come out and visit your home. This is the only way they can provide a realistic estimate and obtain information about everything that is going (and items that won’t be moved).
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Research Moving Company History:
Do your own thorough research into any moving company you are considering. This can be easily done today using internet websites. Try the American Moving & Storage Association’s website for starters.
Next, make sure that they are licensed with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. This is an excellent government resource that will give you a lot of information like the history of the company and whether they are actually licensed with the government. By the way, all cross country moving companies are required to be licensed and obtain a DOT number. This can then be researched even further.
If everything checks out, you can feel much safer about the moving company. This will save you from potentially becoming a victim of a moving scam.
Other Ways To Save:
A few more considerations that can help you save money on your move include:
- Getting rid of items no longer needed.
- Picking the right time and date to move (there may be discounts).
- Obtaining employer assistance.
- Taking food with you on the move / drive to the new home.
We have prepared a long list of moving guidelines, tips and other resources. Please visit us TODAY!