- All Military Branches Cover Just One Vehicle
- Not All Vehicles Are Eligible
- Some Helpful Tips
- Related Information
If you're in the military, especially a part of a military family, and have to be deployed to a base either abroad or in the United States, you will most likely be eligible to have your vehicle shipped directly to the base. However, since many families today have more than one vehicle, unfortunately, you will often have to pay for the second vehicle to be shipped yourself. Before we get into some important tips that can help you out with this process, there is some basic information that you should know first.
All Military Branches Cover Just One Vehicle
The good news about being in the military is that every single branch of the U.S. Armed Forces covers the transport cost of one family vehicle to be shipped. The bad news is that you will have to deal with some red tape and will have to make sure to follow their policies and restrictions extremely closely.
Get a Free, No Obligation to Buy, Auto Shipping Quote.Get my free quote now
or call us to do it for you:
Not All Vehicles Are Eligible
Not all vehicles are eligible to be transported. It depends on the region that it's being shipped to, as well as the regulations of the particular base. For example, some bases don't allow for pickup trucks or large SUVs to be transported, sometimes due to a lack of capacity in the base to store them. You will have to be aware of this ahead of time and plan accordingly.
Some Helpful Tips
- The first tip to follow is to request special assistance if you need more than one vehicle shipped. This works particularly well if you're stationed in the United States and not stationed abroad. The U.S. Coast Guard and the U.S. Air Force have been known to be helpful in matters such as this. They may help you out by either bending the rules a bit and covering the cost of both vehicles or at least offering to pay for the partial cost of the second vehicle.
- Second, you should check to see if the auto transport company offers a special military discount. Many will certainly offer you a discount, sometimes of 10% to 20%, and it can't hurt to ask!
- Third, you should always try to contact an auto transport company that is based out of a location that is close to a military base. Many of these companies frequently deal with military families and thus will be more likely to help you out. Plus, you never know what "connections" they might have!
- Fourth, consider selling your second vehicle if you have one. If you're going to be living on a base, you may not really have a need for it. Plus, with the extra money, you'll have some added "moving expenses" covered. This will help to give you a better peace of mind as you make the transition and can give your family much needed financial cushioning.
You can visit http://www.military.com/money/pcs-dity-move for more information.
Contact A-1 Auto Transport today and let us help you out with your military transport needs. We're more than willing to go the extra mile to help out those who selflessly serve our nation!