Perhaps the one word most commonly associated with moving is messy. Or maybe that word would be dirt. At any rate, we all know that moving generally leads to making a big mess. Moving boxes, taking things off shelves that have been sitting for years, throwing around dust and dirt throughout the house...you get the idea. Despite all of this, there are a few simple things that can be done in order to keep your house clean while moving.
- Rapid Clean-Ups: Every professional housekeeper will tell you that they keep to keeping everything clean and in order is to stay on top of things. One of the very best ways to accomplish this is by spending just a few minutes every morning and evening doing a quick little clean-up. This is similar to speed cleaning.Go ahead and take just 5 to 7 minutes walking around the house. Straighten things up and organize a bit. Do this both in the morning and in the evening. The amazing thing is that this takes up so little time. This also helps to maintain a semblance of order during your move.
- Vacuum: Running the vacuum around the house actually, can make a big difference. Not only will it pick up the dirt, but it is also great for all the dust and assorted other messiness. Just having dirt or debris on even one section of your carpet or floor can make the whole room seem dirty, so the vacuuming instantly improves the appearance.
- Put Things Away: You will also notice that while moving things tend to get moved or just simply strewn around the house. While you are doing you morning and nightly walk-throughs, just grab the assorted items that have been moved out of place. Put them in empty boxes or wherever it will be most convenient to get them packed and/or on the truck.
- Wipe & Wash: Yes, your counter tops, tables, and even sinks will become dirty. In fact, chances are you won't even know what happened to make them dirty. As you are going about your business, carry a damp cloth or paper towel and give the dirty surfaces a quick little 30-second wipe down. Bathrooms and kitchen are the two most important places to focus on for this quick cleaning.
- Pillows, Blankets, Bed Nothing can make a room look dirty and ugly quicker than an unmade bed. Just by taking a few minutes to give the room a sense of order once again can dramatically change its appearance. The same goes for pillows and blankets (and other assorted bedding) that is just simply thrown about. Fluff and fold them for an immediate change of look and feel.
- Use Air Freshener: When moving, chances are there will be a lot of people going through your home. This can lead to a lot of different and interesting odors. Spraying a little air freshener is a quick and easy way keep a home clean during a move. It will make things seem fresh and new.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.