Importing a race car into the US

Deliver Your Vehicle Stress Free

Compare our rates to or from: any location in the world

  • Deliver Your Car Stress Free and Have Peace of Mind
  • Licensed, Bonded and Insured Carriers Near You
  • Award Winning Service, Always on Time

Trusted By:Trusted By FMCSA, Inc. 500, AMSA, BBB

Auto Shipping Free Quote Calculator

Or Call Us:
Importing a race car into the US
Importing a race car into the US

Import a race car into the US

When importing a race car into the US, the first thing you must take into consideration are the requirements of the Federal Government. These are requirements of:

  1. The NHTSA
  2. THE EPA
  3. The US ICE / Customs / Homeland Security

To import an automobile legally in the eyes of the NHTSA, you need to fill a HS7 form. On it, you have a series of boxes / options for the imported automobile. For race / off-highway vehicles there are boxes 7 and 8.

Box 7 confirms your automobile is not built according to FMVSS, but you’re importing it for competitive racing events, investigation, research, training, or demonstrations. Your vehicle will be in the United States on a temporary basis, and the NHTSA must give you a letter of permission. The racing event’s competitive aspect is very important. In case of temporary imports, after the allotted period expires, the vehicle must either be destroyed or exported.

When permanently importing a race car into the US, click box 8. These are automobiles created specifically for racing purposes, without being converted from street cars. In general, the EPA and NHTSA will want manufacturer statements saying the automobile was created for racing.

You can declare an automobile originally built for racing as an off road vehicle on the HS-7 Declaration under box 8, which you will give to Customs (Bureau of Customs and Border Protection) when importing the vehicle. An automobile like this can be imported permanently into the U.S.

A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-518-8708 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.

Importing a race car into the US on a permanent basis, requires that you do the following:

Gain a letter from the automobile’s manufacturer stating it was made as a racing automobile. Upon entry, check the Box 8 of the HS-7 Declaration you will file with customs, stating the vehicle was not created to be used primarily on public roads. Therefore, the vehicle you are importing must not necessarily comply with Federal theft protection, bumper and safety standards.

To the HS-7 document, add a copy of the letter from your vehicle’s manufacturer to be given to Customs.

Importing a race car into the US on a temporary basis, requires you do the following:

Apply for a letter from the NHTSA allowing you to import the automobile temporarily. Upon entry, file a HS-7 form with Customs, and check the box 7, indicating the automobile does not comply with federal theft prevention, bumper, and safety standards, but is imported for the sole purpose of participating in racing events. Attach to the HS-7 form a NHTSA permission letter copy which you give to customs.

EPA Requirements

Racing vehicles may be imported into the United States by anyone interested in doing so. The EPA defines them as being automobiles modified extensively for the purpose of racing, which cannot be used practically and safely on a highway or street, since they do not possess features necessary to practical and safe highway and street use.

These are not limited to, but include a differential, a reverse gear (only applicable to cars), and other features required by Federal Law and / or state. A customs bond is not necessary for the EPA, but a written approval must be gained before obtaining a Customs clearance.

Some race automobiles must comply with emission requirements. Whether or not this is the case for your automobile depends not on the intended use but on the vehicle’s capability. When applying, you must provide this information:

  1. The daytime phone number, address and name of the importer;
  2. Information regarding the vehicle (VIN, model year, make and model);
  3. List of lacking street features which would be necessary for the vehicle to be driven on the highway and / or street;
  4. Racing features list which make the automobile fit for racing;
  5. A minimum of 4 photographs showing each side, the rear and the front of the vehicle. If the vehicle has an interior, photographs of it will be necessary as well;
  6. A racing event schedule, as well as locations and dates where the automobile will participate;
  7. The competition class and sanctioning body’s name;
  8. A racing license copy;
  9. Proof the automobile is unusable for highways and streets, like a state’s DMV (department of motor vehicles) letter explaining the automobile cannot gain a license for public roads’ use, and explains the reasons behind this.

Upon entry, you must speak to Customs and give them a 3520-1 EPA Form and attach a letter of approval from the EPS. Make a copy of the approval letter and keep it in case you need to prove the EPA’s exclusion in the future.


  1. After importing a race car into the US, you may not license or register it for use, nor can you use it on highways and public roads;
  2. If you convert a racing vehicle imported from abroad into a motor automobile fit for street use, after licensing and registering it, you can be considered the manufacturer of the new automobile and forced to pay a daily penalty of $25,000 for not meeting the emission requirements of the EPA.
Joe WebsterWritten By:Joe WebsterConnect with Joe Webster on facebookConnect with Joe Webster on linkedin

Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing. 

After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood. 

With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.

Email me -

Satisfied Customers

“I am meticulous when it comes to everything. At first, I was thinking of just driving all the way to Illinois from New Jersey. A friend recommended me to go to A1 Auto Transport and told me a lot of good things about them. I refused initially because I had filed a 4 day leave just to drive and visit my mother. But things did not go well. My boss asked me to cancel my leave because a very important client asked for an urgent meeting, and the manager could not attend to it. I was hopeless and took the risk of asking help from A1. The notice was short and I forgot I needed to inform them in advance. After a couple of hours, I received a call and they told me they found a way to book me with no extra fees. I am so thankful I got to attend to my work matters. I did not get to see my mother, but the vehicle and items inside it were in perfect condition as if it was me who took care of it. I owe you guys big time! I got one huge deal from our client.”

“The plan was to ship my car from California to Utah. I went through nearly 20 quotes after using an auto shipping site which linked to a bunch of brokers. Finally, I found A1 Auto Transport, a company with its own trucks with great reviews. I was sold. Joe was very competent, gave off the impression he’d done this a million times, and it really showed throughout the transport. He listened to my request carefully, offered me several options, stayed in touch during the transport, and made sure I was happy with everything. Overall, a great company which I would definitely recommend to others!”

“I’m so glad I met you Joe!! A truly fortunate experience. Having to transport a car to Minnesota, I was stunned to see the company, who was supposed to take care of it, just vanish. I couldn’t reach them anymore, like they went bankrupt overnight. However, I was lucky enough to not pay anything, so I simply researched some more until I found A1 Auto Transport. Joe answered my call the first time and we soon agreed on a date and a quote. Unfortunately, I got caught up in work and forgot about it. The order was not confirmed, so Joe must’ve thought I changed my mind. I called him the next day and arranged for a new date. This time, I made a note on my phone and it went well. I replied to his email this time, and the driver arrived at a parking lot down the street on time, as promised. The driver was nice enough to not mention my previous mistake. He delivered my car in just 3 days. Upon careful inspection, there were no scratches or damage done to it during transport. Joe was there along with the driver and they both waited patiently until I was satisfied. Thanks!”

“A1 Auto is kind of like your favourite mom and pop pizza parlour, the one you can’t get enough of despite all the new, expensive avant-garde pizza shops that have mushroomed conspicuously across the entire neighbourhood and seem to have taken over the whole world...but not you. Because you value quality and genuine customer service, and know this business understands and works doubly hard to give you your money’s worth. I’ve been using A1 Auto Transport whenever I left California for business: they may not be the cheapest car transporters around, but the sheer professionalism, dedication, and heart they put into their work is just amazing and worth my every dime. I’m probably one of the most sceptical people you would ever meet. I’m rarely convinced when bombarded with dubious, self-congratulating ads of companies that look like they’ve spent tons of money on marketing materials just to lure your average guy in. A1 Auto Transport is the complete opposite of these companies. My car always arrived promptly on schedule, never with a hint of scratch or dirt or damage, and they keep me updated every step of the process. When you’ve found a company whose genuine care for their customers comes naturally, you stand by them no matter what. It’s the most logical thing to do.”

“A1 Auto Transport helped me move a vehicle to Iowa from Houston. I was a bit nervous, no knowing much about such services. Thanks to Joe, I was able to clear the fog a little. He answered all my questions and explained everything in a way that left no room for interpretation. The details were straightforward. I picked Sunday as the pickup date, since I wasn’t at work, and they accommodated me. The truck arrived an hour early, yet the driver patiently waited for me to arrive. He thoroughly checked my car for scratches or anything that might affect the transport then drove it onto the truck. I was given a 2 day time window during which the car was supposed to arrive in, and it got to Iowa in the evening of the first day. The trip didn’t damage it at all. Next time a friend wants to move, I’ll surely recommend A1 Auto Transport.”

Ship Your Vehicle With A-1 Auto Today
Get an Instant Quote

Or Call Us Today and Speak to Directly to Our Sales Team:

Our Partners:

Better Business Bureau Accredited
FMCSA Member
INC. 500 Member
VeriSign Secured
AMSA Member

A-1 Auto Transport is a disclosed agent for the following shipping companies:

Trans Global Auto Logistics, Inc.
3401 E Randol Mill Rd
Arlington, TX 76011
NO. 018191NF
CFR Rinkens
15501 Texaco Avenue
Paramount, CA 90723
NO. 013055NF
ABC Worldwide LLC
2840 NW 2nd Ave #105
Boca Raton, FL 33431
NO. 025472F
CSI Logistics
435 Division Street
Elizabeth, NJ 07201
FMC 22206
Intl Cargo
45 Campus drive
Edison, NJ 08837
NO. 17858N
ShipYourCarNow LLC
1160 South Rogers Circle Suite 1
Boca Raton, FL 33487
NO. 025646
Merco Air & Ocean Cargo, Inc.
6 Fir Way
Cooper City, FL 33026
NO. 021869F
Copyright © 1988-2021, A-1 Auto Transport - All Rights Reserved.