Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
How to safely transport your Christmas tree
Tis the season to be jolly, but it is also the season to be safe. And since transport is our area of expertise, A1 Auto Transport wants to help make sure your tree makes it home safely, so you can enjoy a festive Christmas. According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, between 2011 and 2014 over 200,000 accidents occurred that involved roadway debris, and some of those involve Christmas trees. There is also the risk of damaging your vehicle during transport, or even damaging your tree before you get it home.
By adhering to the following tips and tricks, you can transport your tree home safely in plenty of time for Christmas.
- Netted is best- If the option to have your tree netted is available, by all means take advantage of it. Even if it costs a couple dollars more, it will greatly reduce the wind damage to the branches and needles, improve the aerodynamics, and give you peace of mind! It also makes moving the tree around easier, so when it comes time to unload, the compact bundle is much more manageable than a full and open tree.
- Face the trunk forward- Another tip to help minimize wind damage to the tree itself is to make sure the trunk is facing the front of the car. The aerodynamics during transport will push the branches and needles in the opposite direction of growth if you face it the other direction.
- Bring proper supplies- Whether you plan to place your tree on top of your car or in the cargo area, you will want a blanket, canvas, or tarp to protect your interior or paint job from scratching or needle debris. You will also need a rope or bungee cords if you plan on putting the tree on top of your car, so make sure you bring enough to properly secure it. Bringing more than enough is always better than coming up short.
Pro-tip- Even if you are transporting a tree in the back of a pick-up truck, there may still be hot spots, like above the exhaust, so using a blanket or canvas as a barrier will help minimize heat damage to the tree.
- Ensure tree is properly secured- In much the same way you painstakingly perused the entire Christmas tree lot looking for the PERFECT tree, it is just as important to take your time in securing the tree for the drive home. If you think it is properly secured, give the tree a good yank to really check the durability.
- Drive slowly and carefully- If you are not used to hauling large objects on top of your car, then make sure you take your time when driving home with the tree. The weight can actually affect your vehicle’s center of gravity and interfere slightly with emergency handling. If possible, avoid the freeway and take known routes home.
With just a little forethought, minimal planning, and very careful driving, your Christmas tree can help kick off a joyous season for you and your loved ones. From your friends here at A1 Auto Transport, we wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year!