If you find the move to be very stressful for you and your family, imagine how nerve racking it can be for your pet! In addition to coordinating all of the logistics so that your pet will arrive at your new home safely and on time, you also need to keep your pet calm and healthy throughout the entire moving process. Here are some tips to transport your pet safely and efficiently.
Preparing To Move Your Pet
There are a few steps you should take early in the moving process to ensure your move goes smoothly.
- First, make sure your pet is even allowed at your new location. Some states and countries have restrictions and even strictly forbid certain types of animals or plants. For example, domestic ferrets are not allowed in California, yet they are allowed in a few other states, such as Alaska.
- Collect all of your pet’s important documents, such as vaccinations, registrations, and vet records.
- Locate a veterinarian office by your new house. If anything were to happen to your pet during the transportation process, you’d want to know where to take them right away.
- You may want to hire a service to help you move your pet. Consider a service like petrelocation.com to assist you during your move.
Transporting Your Pet By Plane
There are a lot of factors you will need to take into account if you choose to transport your pet via air travel. Your pet can become easily agitated from the lack of comfort that comes with changing air pressure, a potentially cramped space, and unfamiliar surroundings. Check in with your vet to make sure your pet is healthy enough to get on a plane. Furthermore, your vet may be able to supply your pet with sedatives to get them through the stress of flying.
Once your pet has been approved for air travel, you will need to find it a carrier that suits the IATA’s (International Air Transport Association) requirements. If your pet is not placed in a certified container, it might take you much longer to get through customs, or you might not be able to board the plane at all.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Transporting Your Pet By Car
This is certainly easier than transporting your pet by plane, but there are still certain things to take into account.
In the months and weeks leading up to your move, it may be beneficial to get your pet used to long car rides, especially if they do not ride in cars very often. Place them in the crate you will be using on moving day, so they get used to it, and provide treats after the trip to give them positive associations with car travel. However, try not to give your animal too much food or water on the move in day, as they might experience motion sickness.
Finally, be sure to never leave your pet unattended in a car. They may suffer from exposure to the elements, or they may just feel scared without their owner around to comfort them.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory