There are more than a few reasons why someone would need to move out of state temporarily. Whether it’s for work or family obligations, it is sometimes necessary to relocate for a short while. For information that is specific to the state in which you are moving to, be sure to check out this incredibly detailed and helpful guide and checklist from the DMV.org website.
Here are some more general things to know before packing up and moving away for a temporary trip:
The Requirements For Temporary Relocation
It is important to note first off that temporary location is defined as residency in a new lodging that does not exceed one year. In other words, you must move back to your permanent home within a year’s time to be considered a temporary resident in a new state.
How To Find Temporary Housing
There are a few choices you can make regarding temporary housing. You can choose extended stays in hotel rooms or suites, or you can find short-term furnished housing (yes, it exists!). Here is some more information about the differences between the two:
- Extended stay hotel rooms or suites: Extended Stay America is one of the top resources used in finding extended hotel lodging. Through Extended Stay America, you can book lodgings by the day, week, or month. Many of the suites available are pet-friendly, with a full kitchen, free Wi-Fi and cable, and even on-site laundry facilities. However, these may get very pricey, depending on what state you are moving to.
- Short term sublets: Furnished properties usually present themselves in the way of private homes, apartments, and condos. You can also choose vacation cabins, beach houses, and even furnished yachts. These spaces will usually include furniture, bedding linens, and dishes. Furnished housing is ideal for homeowners who are in between homes.
- Air BnB's: This new yet rapidly growing service offers rented spaces in over 34,000 cities and 90 different countries. It is a highly customizable service as well, as you can narrow down your search depending on privacy preference and square footage.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click Here or call 1-888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
What To Do With Your Permanent Home
Now comes the process of figuring out what to do with your permanent home.
- Rent it out: This is probably the best scenario for the majority of short-term travelers. This way, you can keep your residence as well as make a little extra income on the side, and when you return home you won’t need to go house hunting again.
- Sell it: If you feel like it juts won’t be worth it to hold onto your property, take the plunge and sell it.
- Have family taken care of it: Perhaps you have family members who live far away and have always wanted to explore your city? Let them take care of your house! This is a good idea if you have pets or plants that need constant care.
Temporary moves can be stressful, but with the right planning and proper preparation, you can make the process much smoother.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.