- Obeying Finland’s Import Policies And Requirements
- The Requirements For Importing A Vehicle Into Finland
- Shipping Your Possessions
Aside from the hustle and bustle of applying for residency in Finland and all the other things regarding immigration laws, you’ll need to comply with import laws too if you plan on having belongings shipped over to the nation. Fortunately, complying with import laws and shipping your things is easier than anything else you may have to prepare for, especially if you hire professional overseas movers to help you with this process. An international moving company will care for the packing, transport, loading and unloading, and delivery of your things while making sure that everything is accepted and approved for import through Customs.
The cost of hiring a mover may seem intimidating but it’s actually the safest, simplest and cheapest way to ship stuff to another nation. You can even choose what services you want which include anything from door to door delivery to full packing services. The more you choose to let the movers handle, the more time you will have to focus on the legalities of immigration, your housing, bank transfers, and other matters regarding your move to the nation.
Obeying Finland’s Import Policies and Requirements
Before you begin packing away your things, check out the list of items prohibited for import into Finland.
- Restrictions and prohibitions apply to the import of food supplements and medicines.
- Prohibitions and restrictions may apply to the import of food products.
- The import of firearms, firearm components and ammunition is subject to restrictions. Import licences are granted by the police. Ask the police or read more in the Customs restrictions manual which is available only in Finnish.
- The import of goods derived from endangered animals and plants may be prohibited or may require a permit. The permits are issued by the Finnish Environment Institute.
- The import of plants and seeds is subject to restrictions.
- The import of precursors of explosives requires a license.
- The import of pleasure boats and pleasure boat engines is subject to restrictions.
- Radio remote control devices that use frequencies that are prohibited in Finland.
To have your belongings safely shipped into Finland without hindrance, you must turn in the documentation asked for which includes:
- A customs declaration form endorsed by the National Board of Customs in Finland
- A valuation declaration for imports exceeding the value of EUR 5,045.64
- A copy of the commercial invoice
Fortunately, the tariffs and duties for Finland are kept lower. You may only be asked to pay 2.61% or 4.17% in duties and a EUR 150.00 fee. Of course, importing a vehicle into Finland is subjected to different regulations and taxes.
The Requirements for Importing a Vehicle into Finland
- a declaration of use for the vehicle has been submitted to the Tax Administration and is kept in the car while driving.
- a transfer permit has been obtained for the vehicle, or its earlier registration in an EEA Member State is still valid
- the principal dimensions and weight of the vehicle does not exceed the maximum permissible in Finland
- the vehicle is covered by a motor liability insurance policy valid in Finland
- the driver of the vehicle has been issued a registration certificate in the country where the vehicle was registered and is in possession of a document of his/her right to control the vehicle (deed of sale), unless the vehicle is registered in the name of a person accompanying the vehicle
Before your vehicle is given permission to enter Finland, it must undergo a vehicle registration inspection. Here is what will be assessed during the inspection:
- technical data
- compliance with requirements
You must bring the following documents to the inspection:
- certificate of previous registration or original foreign registration certificate
- report of vehicle compliance with requirements if needed
Shipping Your Possessions
After you have earned all import approvals, it’s time to start packing and deciding how you would like your things shipped, if you haven’t thought about or started these processes already. When you condense the amount of things you’d like shipped to Finland, you’ll save money on moving services and import taxes. Sort through all your belongings. Decide what you’d like to store away using the mover’s storage solutions, what to sell, what to donate, and/or what to throw away.
Once you have everything sorted through, start packing unless you are letting the mover’s take care of this part of the process for you. If you plan on packing your own things, make sure you are doing so according to Finland’s regulations for packaging and labeling. Otherwise, your stuff may not be able to enter the nation. Also consider how you want your stuff shipped. Usually for a transport from the U.S. to Finland, you’ll choose to have your things transported by ground transport methods including by truck and ship. These are cheaper shipping methods and yet very safe and effective. Make sure all your stuff is covered under the mover’s insurance policy as it’s transported.