Moving Cheaply across Country
Anyone with a cross country relocation in their near future is immediately concerned with the cost of moving services. It is a common misconception that it costs more to move through professionals than it is to handle the move on your own. Moving services are quite affordable when you keep it to the basics. There are other things you can do to move cheaply across the country too.
Perhaps the most important and best way to begin is by researching the cross country movers in your area. By using online resources, you can find the most affordable and reliable movers around.
Go on their websites to check them out. Read reviews and testimonials, check out their services, and gather their contact information if you think you’d like to call them for a quote. Some movers offer online calculators. These are used to give potential customers a quick idea of the price they might pay. Once you have a small list of movers that appeal to you, call them to ask questions and gather quotes.
Other Ways to Cut Costs
- Move during the winter months. During what moving companies refer to as the off-season, they usually cut their service rates. Just keep in mind that during this time, your move may get delayed due to poor weather conditions.
- Don’t purchase optional services such as storage solutions of full packing services.
- Pack your belongings on your own but use the right materials and label all boxes. Start this process at least three weeks before the scheduled moving date.
- Make sure the movers offer at least the minimum insurance coverage as required by state law. The more insurance coverage the better. This prevents you from having to spend more on further insurance coverage.
- Throw away, donate or sell some of your belongings. Anything that you no longer have a use for should go before the movers come to load the truck. The less weight to move, the less you’ll have to pay for labor and services.
- Hire a BBB approved and licensed moving company to assure they are reliable. There are scammers that will take your money and run. Never pay anything for moving services upfront.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.