Dealing With Rain On The Moving Day
Moving to a new home requires proper planning and preparation. You have done all there is to be done, from packing to hiring a mover. But did you check the weather forecast? It is always advisable to check the weather forecast when planning a move. It helps you prepare accordingly in case you have to move during bad weather. If it is raining on your moving day, and you or the moving company cannot reschedule the date, getting a few more cheap supplies alongside additional preparation will ensure the safety of your belongings as you move in the rain.
Here are a few tips on how to deal with rain on a moving day.
Ensure the safety of the people involved
When moving on a rainy day it is important to ensure the safety of your family, the moving crew and yourself as well. Lightning is considered quite dangerous if you are holding metallic items. If the rain is accompanied by a violent thunderstorm, it is advisable to wait for it to settle. If there is no thunderstorm, take the following precautions:
- Wear appropriately: Wearing the wrong shoes can make you slip, fall, and suffer a few injuries. Get yourself protective outfits such as strong boots and a rain jacket –they will come handy in avoiding accidents. Wearing gloves is also advisable because they will enhance your grip as you hold and move wet items.
- Walk carefully: one can easily fall due to slippery surfaces when it rains. You should be careful when moving on tiles or polished wood floors. For ease of movement, cover such surfaces with old sheets or cardboards and remove any leaves that might be lying around.
- Be careful when driving: roads are often slippery when it rains; drive cautiously and slowly.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-241-3110 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Take care of your items
Rain can have adverse effects on your items. As such, you need to ensure that all your belongings remain protected at all times. You do not want a case where your mover delivers items to your new home only to find that your documents are soaked in water.
- Furniture: use plastic sheets, or even heavy moving blankets to cover your furniture completely. Remember that if you expose your metal furniture to rain, they can become rusty, while wooden ones get moldy.
- Appliances: it is important to offer enough protection to your appliances, as most of them are sensitive to water and electricity operated. You can use plastic bags to cover them.
- Artwork and other special items: use a plastic wrap to cover your artwork and any other delicate items in the house to ensure that no moisture gets to them. Where possible, use custom-made crates to protect your artwork.
- Use trash bags to carry bundles of clothes to prevent them from getting soaked as this can cause molds.
When you are moving on a rainy day, it is important to take enough precautions. It is your duty to protect your family and your belongings. Talk to your moving company for enough supplies that can ensure all your belongings remain protected against water and other elements.