Dealing With Post-Moving Fatigue In Older People
Moving with older people is not only stressful but also challenging –they need a lot of care and attention so that you can get them to destination without much stress. It is important to ensure that such people are as comfortable as possible before and during the move to reduce the chances of them experiencing post-moving fatigue. Hiring a mover can help you make the moving preparations and execution quite easy for you and your family members. Before you even think of moving with older people, here are reliable tips to help you deal with post-moving fatigue in older people.
- Exclude them from the moving hype: One of the main reasons people develop post-moving fatigue is the fact that they get involved in so many activities –before, during and after the move –such that they do not get enough rest. If you have older people who you are moving with, ensuring that they stay away from the moving activities –packing, loading, offloading, or even unpacking helps them a lot as far as reducing their post-moving fatigue is concerned.
- Allow them to have enough rest: Resting is a very important way to deal with stress. In a way, your old family members may feel stressed by the moving activities. As such, once your mover arrives in your new home, make sure that you have their room set up as fast as possible so that they do not have to wait for long before getting some rest.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
- Have them checked by a doctor: Moving can have adverse impacts on older people. It is advisable to ensure that a doctor checks their health and gives an appropriate recommendation. Usually, stress can lead to many health issues especially for old people. For instance, fatigue causes depression and high blood pressure among other stress-related conditions. Letting a doctor see your old family members after a move gives them an opportunity to know their health status and if possible get the right medication.
- Maintain a proper diet: Diet plays a significant role when dealing with fatigue and other stress –related issues. Eating frequently is a recommended way to deal with fatigue in older people. For example, you can ensure that there is a meal or snack available for them after every 3 hours at least. It helps in keeping their metabolism at work, hence boosting their energy. However, the snacks and food you give them should be balanced and healthy foods so that they can get the most benefits from them in terms of nutrients.
- Maintain a close support system: Often moving to a new home feels lonely especially when you move to a far distance. It can have adverse impacts on the older people. For example, the thought of having left their friends behind can stress them. As such, you need to talk to them often so that they do not feel lonely –it will help ease the fatigue of moving to a new home.
When moving with older members of your family, it is important to prepare adequately as post-moving fatigue can have adverse impacts on them. Have them rest, eat well, and talk to them more often to reduce their stress. In addition, do not forget to engage the services of a professional mover as such an approach reduces the stress that comes with moving.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.