How Much Money Should I Save to Move across the Country?
Cross country moves are often stressful and exciting all at the same time. The best and most affordable way to complete a move across the country is by hiring a professional moving company. It would cost more for you to try and move without the assistance of movers. However, it’s wise to prepare for the move financially.
The distance from the West Coast to the East Coast is 3,000 miles. According to the AMSA, the average cost for a move at a distance of 1,225 miles is $4,300.
With this being said, the cost of a cross country move may cost upwards of $8,000. This includes a total weight of belongings at 7,400lbs.
So after learning the average cost of a move across the country, you’ll need to figure out just how long it will take you to save that amount of money. Remember, this doesn’t include any extra services such as full service packing. You want to schedule moving services with a mover months in advance so keep that in mind also as you start saving for the future relocation.
Ways to Lessen the Costs of Moving Services
- Get rid of all your unwanted items including furniture, household décor, old dishes, clothes, toys, things forgotten in the attic, etc. You can hold a garage sale, donate or throw it away. Since the weight of your stuff is calculated into the moving services final cost, it is best that you move only what you need.
- Opt out of optional services such as full service packing and storage solutions. Packing stuff on your own is the greatest way to cut costs but you’ll need to pack according to the standards of the mover. This means you’ll need to purchase the right packing materials.
- Schedule your move during the off-season. Movers often cut their prices during colder weather months otherwise referred to as the off-season. Of course, you may want to consider the possibility of delays due to weather conditions if you move during this time.
- Ask the moving company if they offer any discounts or promotions that you might be able to take advantage of. Military personnel, students and senior citizens may easily find movers with discounts in their favor.
State to State Moving Services
- Affordable Long Distance Moving Services
- Apartment Moves
- Cheapest Ways To Move Long Distance
- Commercial Moves
- Corporate Relocation
- Full Service Moves
- Furniture Moves
- Government Moving
- Local Moves
- Long Distance House Moving Companies
- Long Distance Moving Prices
- Long Distance Moving Services
- Military Moves
- Military Moving Companies
- Moving & Storage
- Office Moves
- Piano Moves
- Pool Table Moves
- Senior Moves
- Small Moves
- State to State Moving Services