How Much Does It Cost to Move Long Distance?
The approximate cost of moving between states is around $4,300 (for a distance of around 1,225 miles), while the approximate cost of moving inside the same state is around $2,300 (when using 4 people at a rate of $200/hour).
How Much Does it Cost to Move Long Distance?
If you’ve picked a moving company’s full services to transport your belongings, it can get a bit expensive. The cost of interstate moving is based on the amount of things you need to transport, their weight and the distance between you 2 homes.
For example, let’s assume you want to move your belongings between Chicago and Boston. If you live in a home with 4 bedrooms, the average cost a moving company may charge you can be above $10,000. However, when moving across town or somewhere less than 100 miles away from your old residence, the cost of moving will instead be calculated with an hourly rate, which may change depending on the company.
Average Costs for Local Moves
The answer to “how much does it cost to move long distance” can be found further down in this article. However, here we will discuss the costs of local moves in case that is your situation.
The following are 3 things you must consider when going through with a local move, so you don’t end up paying more than you’ve bargained for:
- The costs of a local move can change greatly according to your location in the city or state. You can use the average cost example to get an idea of the price.
- Regardless of what they are doing, local movers are paid on an hourly rate. This doesn’t change if they are packing, carrying your belongings, loading them, driving, or unloading them.
- You must learn what “travel fee” means. This is a fee covering the time and fuel expenses which occur during the actual move of your items from your old home to the next, as well as the return trip from your new residence. Normally, the fee is equal to one hour of moving work, though you should confirm with the company just in case.
- You can transport your vehicle on your own, so this shouldn’t pose a problem.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
Local Moving Prices Depending on Apartment / House
The average price local movers charge is $25/hour for each mover. However, the price may rise depending on the amount of items you need to move and your location. Depending on the size of your current home and the belongings in it, you can expect the following rates:
- Moving out of a studio apartment: It would take approximately 3-5 hours for 2 people to move everything, so it would cost you around $25 / hour each, a total of at most $250 for the entire job.
- Moving out of an apartment with 2 bedrooms: It would take around 5 to 7 hours for 3 movers to locally relocate your belongings. This amounts to at most $525 to complete the task.
- Moving out of a house with 3 bedrooms: It would take around 7 to 10 hours for 4 movers to finish their work. At $25 / hour each, it amounts to at most $1000.
- Moving out of a bigger home: If your residence is equal or larger than 5,000 feet, the moving costs will go up rapidly. They can even reach $2000 or more.
To further explain, to move the belongings out of a house with 4 bedrooms or more, movers will charge you according to the number of people and trucks they’ll need to use. Your costs will be around $150 per hour for each mover. The process will require at least 4 people and a large van. Most companies will not push other costs from additional packages.
If you wish to lower your bill substantially, a good alternative is to pack everything yourself. The cost of packing can get as high as the cost of moving itself. It can take you 12 hours or more to move between towns. Without considering the packing, it will cost you around $2000.
Finally, before answering “how much does it cost to move long distance,” here are a few cost lowering tips for those interested in moving locally:
- For $25 per hour, you can ask the moving company to pack your belongings and / or to unpack them at their destination. The price of the packing materials used is usually included.
- Depending on the local move’s complexity, you have to pay extra charges. Numerous stairs, many bulky / heavy belongings, or a longer distance between your home and the closest place the company can park its van, will increase the final price. Discuss these costs with the movers.
- Many people keep some money on hand, to tip the movers if they did their jobs well. If you plan on rewarding their efforts, the price of moving may increase by another 10%. Remember, tipping is not an obligation, but only something to reward the hard work of the movers.
Average Costs for Cross Country Moves
Finally, let us get to the main question: How much does it cost to move long distance?
The first thing of note is how the price for long distance moves is calculated. Instead of an hourly rate as used in local moves, long distance movers charge based on the following 3 factors:
- Distance: Distance is the greatest variable and biggest difference between local and long distance moves. Needless to say, the farther your new home is from your current residence, the more you will have to pay to relocate your belongings. However, since you cannot change the distance between your residences, we recommend you focus on the next 2 variables.
- Weight. The more items you move, the more they will weigh, and the more you will have to pay. On the bright side, this factor also enables you to cut down on transportation costs by simply getting rid of the excess. Remove no longer needed items and the price may drop by several hundred dollars.
- Extra services. When calculating how much does it cost to move long distance, you should consider the additional services you’ll need as well. If you need any other services besides picking up the belongings, driving them to their new destination, and dropping them off, you may have to pay. The price each company asks may differ, so speak to them about it to see which additional services you need, which are too expensive, and which you can handle yourself.
- Auto transport: If you own a vehicle and you’ve never driven across country or cannot afford to make the trip, you may have to consider auto transport services as well.
How Much Does it Cost to Move Long Distance across the United States?
The following are the approximate costs for moving across the country. You should only use these costs as an example. For a proper estimate, speak to the moving company itself.
Furthermore, since moving costs are calculated based on each case, even if you and the neighbor next door move to the same city using the same moving company, you will end up paying different prices. This is because the nature and number of belongings will differ and you may ask for / need different additional services.
However, to give you an idea of what to expect, let us assume you plan on moving to a town 1000 miles away from your current house. For this situation, here are a few examples of what the costs may be:
- Moving out of a studio apartment: The weight of things found in such an apartment doesn’t normally go past 2000 pounds. In such a case, if your home is located exactly 1000 miles away, the payment for the move, without any additional services, is about $1500 or slightly more.
- Moving out of an apartment with 1 bedroom: If you live in such a home, your goods probably don’t weigh more than 3500 pounds. This means, to move them 1000 miles away without making use of extra services, you’ll pay around $2500.
- Moving out of an apartment with 2 bedrooms: In this case, the belongings are expected to weigh at most 6000 pounds. Moving 1000 miles away, to a new location, should cost you at most $4200 if you use no accessorial services.
Best 3 Ways to Cut Down on Moving Costs
If you’re asking how much does it cost to move long distance, then you’re probably also looking for ways to cut down on the price as much as possible. In this case, you can find the best 3 ways to minimize costs below:
Pick an Affordable Company
If you decide to hire a moving company, it’s best you read some reviews and carefully pick your movers. Be wary of estimates which seem too low, since they may be scams, and keep in mind that not every company is necessarily specialized in your type of move. Finally, check their optional services and their prices, since you may need them.
The day your move is scheduled on is very important, though often ignored. Between May and September, moving companies are in their peak season. Demand is high and chances of finding a bargain are slim.
So, if you can plan ahead, choose the off season months. Avoid moving on the first / last day of a month, on a national holiday or on weekends, since you will be charged more. Book in advance, so you get the best deal.
Leave the Clutter Behind
Any item you’re not going to use anymore, simply leave it behind. After living in the same house for years, it’s inevitable you’ve accumulated some unnecessary things. A move is the ideal opportunity to clean them out.
Make an inventory of your apartment’s possessions, and carefully decide what to keep and what to throw out. Reduce your belongings to their minimum. This way, the answer to “how much does it cost to move long distance?” will be “surprisingly little”, and you’ll have more space in your new house.
State to State Moving Services
- Affordable Long Distance Moving Services
- Apartment Moves
- Cheapest Ways To Move Long Distance
- Commercial Moves
- Corporate Relocation
- Full Service Moves
- Furniture Moves
- Government Moving
- Local Moves
- Long Distance House Moving Companies
- Long Distance Moving Prices
- Long Distance Moving Services
- Military Moves
- Military Moving Companies
- Moving & Storage
- Office Moves
- Piano Moves
- Pool Table Moves
- Senior Moves
- Small Moves
- State to State Moving Services