Formula 1 (F1) is one of the most popular motorsport competitions in Europe, and it takes place over a wide variety of European countries. F1 cars can’t be driven on standard roads, so you may be wondering – how exactly are F1 cars and their required components and tools shipped between countries for road races? Find out now!
Are F1 Cars Transported By Air, By Land, Or By Cargo Ships?
F1 cars are primarily transported in specialized trucks, since most F1 competitions are held in Europe, and can be accessed by simply driving from one country to another. However, air transport is sometimes used for rush deliveries, and ocean transport is occasionally used for F1 cars as well.
- Road transport (trucking) – Mostly, F1 cars are transported by large, specially-built trucks. They’re loaded up into the truck along with their required equipment, tools, and supplies, and are simply driven to their destinations in Europe. This simplifies logistics quite a bit for F1 competitors. However, this is not a viable transportation method for international events in countries like Australia.
- Air transport – Air transport is very expensive, but is the fastest way to ship F1 cars, parts, and equipment both within the same continent, and across different continents. Many F1 competitors use a mixture of both trucking and air transport throughout the F1 season, depending on the locations of upcoming events.
- Ocean transport – This is the slowest, but most cost-effective way to move F1 cars and parts between countries. It may be used to ship replacement or spare parts during the F1 season, or to ship cars and equipment during the off-season when drivers are no longer competing in races. Ocean freight is not usually used for critical components and cars, since it’s much slower and less reliable than road transport and air transport.
Moving F1 cars is not a simple process. Not only do the cars themselves need to be moved – but a massive amount of electronic equipment, testing gear, spare parts and components, and tools must also be moved to prepare for each race day.
How Are F1 Cars Protected While Being Shipped Between Countries?
Given how delicate and expensive F1 cars are, they’re not shipped in the same way that a normal car would be shipped – on the back of a semi-truck car carrier or in a standard cargo container, for example. Instead, F1 cars are shipped in specialized road-going trucks and custom-built containers.
- Specialized road-going trucks– Each F1 racing team has its own specially-built trucks, which are built with an elevated, cushioned platform. The F1 car is usually partially disassembled, with delicate aerodynamic components removed and stored in custom-built boxes.
The entire trailer is cushioned and custom-built to ensure the F1 car does not move during transit, as this could cause damage. Usually, other spare parts, tools, and supplies are also loaded onto the truck to ensure the team has everything it needs for the race weekend.
- Custom-built containers for ocean and air shipping – For ocean and air shipping, F1 cars are typically completely stripped down. The engine and gearbox are removed, as well as the mirrors, suspension parts, front and rear aerodynamic components, and any other part that could be damaged in transit.
Each of these components is stored in its own foam box that’s custom-built to fit it. The car’s chassis is usually covered with a custom-built protective cover during transit. Then, these individual containers are loaded onto a plane or into a cargo container, and are strapped down and secured to ensure they are completely secure during the transportation process.
Moving Cars For F1 Competitions Is A Complex And Difficult Process!
Transporting an F1 car is one of the most challenging tasks that any logistics company can take on – and given that there are usually about 21 races per year in Europe and abroad, F1 teams need to work closely with experienced logistics providers to get the supplies they need, and ensure their cars arrive in perfect condition.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this insight into how F1 cars are transported between countries. And if you need to transport a car anywhere in the US or abroad, remember to contact A-1 Auto Transport online, or give us a call at (800) 452-2880. We can give you a free quote, and our experienced car shipping partners will provide you with excellent service.