When moving long distance, it should soon become clear that there is nothing easy or inexpensive about the process. Logistics can be an issue in getting all of your things transported potentially thousands of miles away. Having said that, by taking the proper steps when planning such a move, you can reduce the expenses to a much more manageable level. Here’s how to ensure you are conducting the most affordable long distance move possible.
Create Your Moving Budget:
In the beginning, you need to ask yourself some hard questions. For example, how much are you expecting the move to cost? Can you afford it? When making this budget consider:
- Moving company fees and charges
- Extra transportation expenses like insurance
- Costs for transporting yourself and your family (gas, hotels, meals)
- Any other or extra expenses, such as repairs on the home before leaving
Give Yourself Enough Time:
One of the best ways to ensure that you don’t overpay for a long distance move is to plan it all out and book everything needed, well in advance of your actual moving date. Since the bulk of the expense will probably be directed toward the moving company, this is a great place to start.
By giving yourself and the moving company enough advanced notice, you will also probably be able to get a nice discount. Obviously, if you waited until just a week or two before your scheduled date, you are going to be asked to pay extra rush fees. You also will need this time to research moving companies, using resources such as the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.
Move During The Spring Or Late Fall:
Moving companies are exceptionally busy during the summer and then again in the early to mid fall. These are considered the peak seasons and most movers will likely add a bit of a premium charge for this privilege. Instead, consider making your long distance move during periods when there is less demand, like the spring and late fall. Even the winter can be a good time to move as long as your climate is at least moderate.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Save Money On Packing:
Try doing all of the packing yourself. This is really not that hard and will save you a lot of money compared to what a moving company will charge for this service. This is made even easier by the fact that you have planned and booked everything well in advance. By doing a little at a time, you can avoid the typical moving experience of being overwhelmed. Here are some tips:
- Get boxes for free at grocery stores and other places that throw away large amounts of boxes.
- Learn proper packing and boxing techniques to maximize space and use fewer boxes.
- Save newspaper and other soft items to use as packing material.
For tons of additional moving tips and techniques, including FREE quotes, contact us TODAY!
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?