What is the Helpful Ideas For Finding Long Distance Movers
A long distance move can be a very interesting combination that will test your nerve and physical stamina. Since you could be moving anywhere from 51 miles up to 3,000 miles, there is a lot of variety and many factors that need to be considered. The following tips should give you a clearer idea about how to find the perfect long distance mover for your needs.
Choosing Your Important Services
The most important first step in this process is to know what types of services you might need ahead of time. From here, it will be more easy to compare different moving companies with each other on the basis of what is offered. Think about the following:
- Packing Services—Many long distance moving companies will be able to provide you with full packing services. They will literally box up your stuff, load it on the truck, and then unload at the destination. Of course, this is a full-service type of feature that will entail an extra cost.
- Boxes—Although it is probably better (read: cheaper) to get them yourself, the moving company will be happy to sell you boxes, along with additional packing supplies.
- Packing Supplies—Yes, they will have just about everything for you including packing tape, paper, bubble wrap, blankets and furniture covers, etc...
- Stair / Long Carry Services—These are extra services which might be needed if there are stairs going up to your house or apartment, or there is an extra long distance that items will need to be carried due to parking limitations. In both of these situations, the moving company is also likely to add another fee onto your bill for this service.
- Automobile Transportation—While this is normally a separate service provided by another company entirely, some long distance movers do offer auto transportation. It may even save you some money, so be sure to check if this service is needed.
Finding & Researching Your Movers
There are tons of online and other resources available to find reliable cross country movers. Check out the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website to make sure your chosen company is reliable and worthwhile. You will also want to make sure to obtain quotes from several different companies in order to have a good comparison.
Just make sure that price, while an important factor, is not your only (or even the main) consideration. If one of the estimates is significantly lower than the rest, there might be a reason why...and no one likes being scammed. Focus also on:
- Company Credentials—Only consider those movers who are actually registered with the FMCSA and have a legitimate DOT number. That means they have a license and can very likely be trusted.
- Read Reviews—And also check out any testimonials that you may find. Even consider actually contacting the company and obtaining some references. A solid and reliable business should not have any problem with this.
- Three Quotes—The general rule is to always obtain at least three quotes. Read the fine print of the estimates and get clarification of everything which is overly detailed and technical.
Related Information & FAQ
- Best cheap movers
- Best commercial movers
- Best full service movers
- Best long distance movers
- Family movers
- Full service movers near me
- Furniture movers near me
- Local movers near me
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.