- Fcl Container Shipping (Full Container Load) To Finland
- Lcl Container Shipping (Less Than Container Load)
- Ocean Freight Transport To Finland
- Air Freight Transport To Finland
- How Much Does It Cost To Ship To Finland?
- Shipping Ports In Finland
- Customs Clearance In Finland
- Get A Free Price Rate Quote For Shipping To Finland
Moving to Finland and want to bring your household goods or car? Importing a commercial freight shipment to Finland? A-1 Auto Transport is here to help. We can assist you with FCL and LCL ocean freight transport to Finland, as well as air transport to major hubs in Finland, such as Helsinki.
To learn more about the process of shipping ocean or air freight to Finland and explore your options for sending your goods to Finland, you can read on – or contact A-1 Auto Transport to get a free quote for your shipment.
FCL Container Shipping (Full Container Load) To Finland
If you have a large volume of goods to ship, FCL container shipping on an ocean freighter is the best option. In this method of freight shipping, you will pay for an entire cargo container, which will usually measure either 20 feet or 40 feet – or you can use multiple containers if you have a lot of items to ship.
You will load the container with all of your goods, send it to a nearby port, and have it loaded onto a ship, which will deliver it to your desired port in Finland according to its shipment schedule.
FCL container shipping is very cost-effective, particularly for large and bulky items, and its simplicity makes it one of the best ways to move freight internationally.
LCL Container Shipping (Less than Container Load)
LCL container shipping is a good option for you if do not have enough items to completely fill a 20-foot cargo container. For example, if you’re moving to Finland and your household goods will only take up 60% of a cargo container, you can choose LCL shipping instead of FCL shipping.
In LCL shipping, other customers will be able to use the additional, unused space in the cargo container – your stuff will take up 60% of the volume, while others will get to use the remaining 40%.
Because the cost of the container is shared across multiple customers, this method of ocean freight transport is quite a bit cheaper than FCL shipping, so it’s a good option if you do not need to move a huge volume of freight to Finland.
Ocean Freight Transport To Finland
Ocean transport makes up more than 80% of all commercial freight traffic. It’s very safe, simple, and reliable, and is also extremely cost-effective compared to air freight transport, which is the only other option for transoceanic shipping.
In most cases, it will take your shipment somewhere between 20-45 days to arrive at its destination in Finland. The time it takes for your shipment to arrive depends on the origin port of your shipment, the number of ports at which the ship stops, and a few other factors.
Air Freight Transport To Finland
Air freight transport to Finland is very fast, and usually takes only 3-5 days. In some cases, express delivery is available within 1-3 days for an additional fee, which will ensure your items get to their destination quickly.
However, air freight transport to Finland is extremely expensive compared to ocean freight transport, especially for heavy items. Air transport is a good option for lightweight, valuable items that must be shipped quickly – for all other items, LCL or FCL container shipping via cargo ship is typically a better option.
How Much Does It Cost To Ship To Finland?
Wondering how much it costs to ship your freight to Finland? Here are a few factors that are likely to affect the cost of shipment.
- Shipment method – Air shipping to Finland is always going to be much more expensive than sea shipping, but may be a good option for time-sensitive items. If you’re on a tight budget, though, you’ll save quite a bit of cash by opting for ocean freight transport.
- Shipment weight/volume – For ocean-going freighters, the primary determining factor for your shipment is its volume. With LCL shipping, you’ll pay more depending on how much of the cargo container you use. With FCL shipping, you’ll pay more if you have to use a 40-foot container or multiple 20-foot containers for your shipment.
For air shipping, the cost is determined mostly by weight, not volume. In air freight, the weight of items has a much larger effect on fuel consumption, aerodynamics, and so on. For that reason, heavier items are much more costly to ship via air freight.
Distance of shipment – The farther your shipment has to go, the more it will cost to send it. A shorter journey means less wear & tear on equipment, lower labor costs, less fuel consumption, and so on. For that reason, it’s often a good idea to have your shipment sent from the port in your country that’s nearest to Finland, if possible.
- Last-mile delivery – Most deliveries in Finland will need to be transported from a port like Helsinki or Naantali using rail and/or trucks. The distance your freight is traveling will be the primary factor in determining the cost of last-mile delivery.
- Fuel cost – The cost of fuel can fluctuate quite a bit. Whether you’re using ocean transport or air transport, this is a big factor in the cost of shipping your items. If the price of fuel is low, you’ll pay less – but if it jumps, shipping may be quite a bit more expensive.
- Customs brokers – You will likely need to pay a customs broker to handle your shipment when it arrives in Finland. It’s possible to do it yourself, but the process can be quite complex, and you would need to be physically present in the country. For these reasons, hiring a broker is usually part of the cost of your shipping job.
All of these factors – and quite a few more – can affect the cost of shipping in Finland. To get a quote for your job, just contact A-1 Auto Transport now. We’d be happy to provide you with an accurate cost estimate.
Shipping Ports In Finland
Finland has a number of large ports that serve as both commercial and passenger hubs, including.
- Port of Helsinki – The Port of Helsinki is not only a major port for foreign trade, but is the busiest passenger port in the world. It handles annual cargo tonnage exceeding 14.7 million tons.
- Port of Hamina-Kotka – Port of Hamina-Kotka is located on the Gulf of Finland, and handles more than 13 million tons of cargo per year. It has a large network of rail connections to major cities in the rest of Europe, including cities like Gothenburg, Tallinn, Amsterdam, and Rotterdam.
- Port of Naantali – Port of Naantali handles more than 50% of truck and trailer units sent between Finland and other Scandinavian countries. It typically has around 1,580 annual vessel arrivals, and an annual freight tonnage of 7.8 million.
Depending on where you’re shipping your goods, any of these ports may be a viable destination. A-1 Auto Transport can help you choose the option that’s right for your needs.
Customs Clearance In Finland
To streamline the process of customs clearance in Finland, it’s typically a good idea to hire a customs broker. They can function as your legal representative when you are importing goods, even if you are not in the country.
Most imported items to Finland from non-EU countries are not taxed. All imports to Finland from non-EU countries are taxed using the CIF (Cost, Insurance, and Freight) method. Duty rates typically range from 0-17%, with a general VAT (Value-Added Tax) of 24%.
Some items have a lower VAT, such as items for restaurants and catering services (14%) and books, magazines, and newspapers (10%). Personal household goods can be imported tax-free in most cases, but personal vehicles will be subject to a tax.
Note also that some items are restricted or prohibited in Finland, including weapons, some tobacco products like snus, most pharmaceutical medications, fireworks, and some plants, trees, fruit, and other plant products.
Get A Free Price Rate Quote For Shipping To Finland
Need to ship freight to Finland with ocean freight transport or air freight transport? A-1 Auto Transport is the best choice. We offer the best rates, convenient service, and a network of logistics providers and customs brokers that will ensure that your shipment gets to its destination when you need it.
To learn more about the details and get a free quote for shipping your personal or commercial items to Finland, contact A-1 Auto Transport online now, or feel free to give us a call at 1-888-241-3110 to speak to one of our team members directly. We’re always happy to hear from new customers, so get in touch right away.