In most cases, the decision as to whether or not to hire professional movers or move your possessions yourself depends on a number of factors. However, there are other situations where it is really not advisable to try moving on your own. Such is the case when you have some big, heavy or otherwise cumbersome items. They can actually end up damaging the house or even other items if not handled properly, so always seriously consider hiring professionals with the following items.
- Piano: There are lots of reasons why its best to not even try moving a piano on your own. Obviously, they are big, heavy, and difficult to maneuver. On top of everything else, they are actually quite fragile; bump it in the wrong way and it might end up permanently out of tune. Just call a specialty mover that has experience and the proper equipment to move your piano.
- Pool Table: They are just so big that its almost impossible NOT to knock one of these guys into the walls or the floor. Just imagine if even a minor incident happens and that expensive green felt is ripped or otherwise damaged. That would be the last thing you want to do, so consider a professional for this type of job rather the boys from the office as helpers.
- Big Fish Tank: If your tank is small, say like 20 gallons or so, it is probably still realistic to move this on your own. However, larger tanks can present a huge problem. Especially those which hold an assortment of all types of colorful and rare or unusual fish and other aquatic life. You are going to have to figure out a way to empty the water, temporarily house and transport all the animals as well. Fortunately, there are a number of professionals and specialty movers that can help.
- Artwork: The real problem here, especially when we are considering valuable and expensive art, is the actual transportation. The fact that specialty art movers are equipped with custom made boxes and/or packaging means a much higher level of protection and security for your masterpieces.
- Large TV: Certainly, a 60-inch flat screen TV might not be as heavy as a piano, or as much of a logistical problem as a pool table. However, it can still be easily damaged. Professional movers will have specially designed and even custom-made TV boxes and packages that will accommodate your TV and securely transport the item, keeping it free from damage.
- Plants: If you know a fair amount about gardening and transplanting plants, it might be possible to handle this kind of move on your own. Having said that, there is more to consider than simply damaging or killing the plants during the process of removal and transplanting. Consider the fact that if they are not packed just right, it could cause soil and water leakage...and that might damage or destroy those other wonderful items that have been so carefully packed and transported. Hire a professional.
Professional and specialty movers serve a great purpose when you have prized possessions. Just be sure to check them out thoroughly—the Better Business Bureau is a good place to start.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.