The act of finding the most dependable shipping services to get your car to Hong Kong should be of great importance to you. More informative than telling you how to ship a car to another country is telling you what mistakes to avoid in the process.
By avoiding some common mistakes made by many first-time international shipping customers, you’re more likely to have an issue-free and successful import.
- Not looking into the history of the shipping company before hiring them for your car’s transport to Hong Kong. Researching the companies that are local to you is important. Search for an overseas transport company with a positive reputation for successful international deliveries. They should also have the proper licensing and certificates to prove their legitimacy as an auto transporter.
- The clumsiest thing you can do to jeopardize the safe delivery of your vehicle is forgetting to ask about insurance coverage. Although it is rare that insurance is ever needed during a transport due to the security of the international transport company and their staff, it’s important that the company carries it anyway. This is their way of guaranteeing their services and it is obligatory for all trustworthy transporters to have insurance policies.
- Despite your effort to complete the import regulations in preparation for the transport, you must prepare the car. Clean out the inside and wash the outside of your vehicle. Remove any items unless permission was given. Fill all fluids other than the gas tank which should read less than ¼ full. Check the tires and look over the vehicle for damages.
- Neglecting to provide the Customs office for Hong Kong with the proper documents and proof. You must have all forms specified in the import policy as well as proof that you paid all the taxes.
- Never let any transport company coax you into paying for shipping services before the car arrives in the country of Hong Kong. Any reputable transporter will hold off on payment until the car has reached the port safely.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.