Do Movers Give Senior Discounts?
If you’re a senior on a fixed income and you need to move – perhaps from a larger home to a smaller home where you can age in place safely – you may be wondering how you can save some money on the process. Can you get a senior discount from a moving company? Find out.
Do Moving Companies Give Senior Discounts?
Yes, but it depends on the company. Some moving companies are happy to offer discounts of up to 5-10% for seniors, which can save you a lot of money. Even a 5% discount would save you $75 on a $1,500 move, which is quite significant on a fixed income. However, some moving companies do not offer any senior discounts.
To find out if your chosen senior moving company offers senior discounts, we recommend viewing their website and looking around to see if there are any special offers being advertised. If you can’t find any information on the company’s website, you may wish to contact them directly, and ask about how much your move may cost and how much you’ll have to pay.
In some cases, you may be able to negotiate a senior discount even if the company doesn’t normally offer them. After all, it never hurts to ask – so when you’re considering the right moving company for your local or long-distance move, see if you can get a discount!
How Can I Save Money While Moving As A Senior?
There are a lot of ways seniors can save money while moving. Packing your things yourself or with the help of your family, getting rid of stuff you don’t need, moving during the “off season” and comparing moving costs between companies are helpful ways to save big.
- Avoid full-service moving by packing on your own – Full service moving involves having a moving company pack up all of your stuff, load it, unload it at the destination, and unpack it. This is very convenient, but also expensive. If you can pack up your own stuff – alone, or with the help of friends or family members – this can help you save some serious cash while moving as a senior.
- Get rid of stuff you don’t need – The more stuff you move, the more you’ll pay. If you can sell, donate, give away, or throw away things that you don’t need when moving out of your current home, your overall moving costs will be much lower.
- Plan to move in the “off season” – Moving is usually the most expensive in the late spring and summer, as this is when many families will choose to move. Demand is lower during other times of the year, and prices usually are, too. Moving in the fall or winter can help you save some money.
- Compare prices between moving companies – It’s always a good idea to compare several moving companies and the prices they’re charging, and shop around to find the best rate. This could save you hundreds of dollars, especially if you find a moving company that gives senior discounts.
- Choose a home where you can age in place – Even if you’re only in your early 60s, moving to a home with features like access ramps, a chair lift, zero-entry shower, grab bars in the shower and bathroom, and other accessibility accommodations is a great idea. If you move to a home where you can comfortably live as you age in the future, you can avoid a future move to a new home or assisted living facility, saving you a lot of time, money, and headaches.
Get The Moving Services You Need For Less As A Senior
Many moving companies offer senior discounts, and with the tips and advice on this page, you’ll be able to save money on your next move. If you need further information or assistance, feel free to contact A-1 Auto Transport right away. We do more than just transport cars. We can help seniors all throughout America find reputable movers to help them move into a new home – for a reasonable rate.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.