If you’re a business owner and you need to send commercial goods to Czech Republic, or you’re just moving to Czech Republic and would like to ship your car and household goods, A-1 Auto Transport is here to help.
The process of ocean or air freight container shipping to Czech Republic may seem intimidating. But we can break down the process and give you a full quote for your freight shipment. Contact us now, or read on below to learn more about air and ocean freight container shipping to Czech Republic.
FCL Container Shipping (Full Container Load) To Czech Republic
FCL (Full Container Load) shipping is the best way to send your items to Czech Republic if your shipment is large enough to fill an entire 20-foot cargo container. You’ll pay for the use of the entire container unit. It will be loaded and sent to a nearby port, then shipped to Czech Republic on a container ship.
LCL Container Shipping (Less than Container Load) To Czech Republic
LCL (Less than Container Load) shipping is a good option if you are not shipping enough items to Czech Republic to fill an entire shipping container. Instead of paying to use the entire container, you’ll pay to use a portion of it – based on how much stuff you have.
If you have enough items to take up 50% of the container, for example, you’ll only pay for the volume you use, and other individuals or businesses can pay to use the remaining 50% of the space in the container. Compared to LCL shipping, this lowers your overall cost when shipping a smaller amount of freight.
Ocean Freight Transport To Czech Republic
Ocean freight transport with FCL or LCL container shipping is definitely the most cost-effective way to send your items to Czech Republic. Your container will be sent to a nearby port, and loaded onto a container ship with thousands of other containers that are heading to the same destination port.
Depending on how far your shipment has to go, the number of stops and some other factors, it can take anywhere from 20-45 days for your shipment to arrive at the port. Since Czech Republic is land-locked, it must be transported by rail or truck after it arrives.
Air Freight Transport To Czech Republic
Air freight transport is the fastest way to ship freight to Czech Republic, but it’s very expensive. It usually costs at least 4x as much as ocean transport. In addition, the price of shipping is based on weight, not volume – so it’s not a good choice for extremely heavy items.
However, air freight transport can be used to send your items directly to a Czech airport, such as the Prague Airport, and your shipment will usually arrive in 3-5 days. If you pay additional fees for rush shipping, it’s often possible to send your freight within 1-3 days. For time-sensitive, light-weight shipments, air freight shipping is a good option.
How Much Does It Cost To Ship To Czech Republic?
Wondering how much it will cost to ship your items to Czech Republic? There are a lot of different factors that can influence the cost of your freight shipment. Here are a few things to consider.
- Ocean vs. air shipping – Air shipping may be a lot faster and a lot more convenient, but it’s also a lot more expensive. It will usually cost you at least 4x more to ship by air than it will, to ship by sea – and the costs can be even higher if you need rush delivery.
However, given that Czech Republic is landlocked, it’s much easier to get your items from an airport, and you won’t have to worry about sending them through multiple countries in the EU by rail or truck, so this is an important consideration to keep in mind.
- Weight or volume of items – For ocean-going freight, the cost of your shipment is determined by volume. In LCL shipping, you pay more depending on how much of the cargo container you use. And in FCL shipping, you pay more if you’re using a 40-foot container or multiple 20-foot containers than you would if you used a single container.
For air freight, cost is determined not by volume, but by weight. The heavier your items are, the more it will cost to ship them, so keep this in mind if you’re shipping by air, or shipping some of your items by air and some on a cargo container.
- Last-mile shipping – Czech Republic is land-locked, so it does not have direct access to any seaports. Because of this, all ocean-going cargo must be sent into the country via a truck or by rail. Even if you opt for air freight transport, you’ll likely need to work out last-mile shipping details to have your items shipped to their final destination.
- Time of year – The cost of shipping items by ocean, in particular, can vary quite a bit based on the time of year. Peak shipping season usually happens twice per year, in January-February and in August-September. Depending on market and ocean conditions, the costs may also fluctuate somewhat.
- Shipment distance – The further your shipment has to go, the more you’ll pay. If you’re sending an ocean cargo shipment to Czech Republic from New York, for example, you’ll pay less than you would if you were sending it from San Francisco, because the shipping route is significantly shorter.
Need a price estimate for shipping your freight? At A-1 Auto Transport, we specialize in shipping to countries all over Europe, including Czech Republic. Contact us now to get an estimate for your project, and learn more about the process of shipping your home goods, vehicle, or any other freight to Czech Republic.
Shipping Ports In Czech Republic
As a land-locked country, Czech Republic does not have any ocean ports of its own. Cargo traffic into the country by sea must be handled by ports in other EU member states. A few of the ports in the EU which are widely used to send cargo to the Czech Republic include.
- Port of Hamburg, Germany – The Port of Hamburg is one of the largest ports in Europe, and is very important for the Czech Republic. More than 3 million metric tons of goods are sent to and from the Czech Republic by the Port of Hamburg each year. In addition, many goods destined for other parts of Central Europe, such as Slovakia, Hungary, and Austria come through Czech Republic, thanks to its extensive rail network and central location.
- Ports of Bremen, Germany – The Ports of Bremen consist of the ports of Bremen and Bremerhaven, and are widely used to import goods to Czech Republic. These ports are the world’s busiest when it comes to transporting cars and vehicles. Each year, they handle more than 60 million metric tons of goods, including 6 million TEU (twenty-foot equivalent units) and 2.1 million cars.
- Port of Koper, Slovenia – Port of Koper is the only major port in Slovenia. It’s located on the Adriatic Sea, connecting Central Europe to the Far East and the Mediterranean Sea. It handles more than 1,900 vessel arrivals per year, with an annual cargo tonnage exceeding 18 million tons across 600,000 TEU per year.
Depending on where your shipment is coming from and its destination, any of these ports may be appropriate for importing your goods into Czech Republic.
Customs Clearance In Czech Republic
When your freight arrives in Czech Republic, it will be subject to certain fees, duties, and taxes. Most personal and household goods can be cleared without taxes and fees, and cars can be brought in duty-free for personal use if they have been used for at least 6 months and owned for at least 12 months abroad.
Items brought in for commercial use will be taxed according to Czech Republic import regulations. Like many other EU countries, Czech Republic uses the CIF method of calculating import taxes.
Depending on the category of items being imported, rates vary from 0% (some electronic products are duty-free) to 17%. In addition, a GST (sales tax) will be levied on most items. Based on the imported goods you bring in, these costs will be calculated when you arrive in Czech Republic, and you will have to pay them to gain access to your items.
It’s best to use a customs broker to help you import your items to Czech Republic. A customs broker acts as your legal representative and can work with the Customs Office on your behalf, ensuring a smooth transition and that you do not encounter any issues while bringing your items into Czech Republic.
Get a Free Price Rate Quote For Shipping To Czech Republic
Need to ship your household goods, car, or commercial freight to Czech Republic? Not sure how to get started? You can contact A-1 Auto Transport right away. We can ship to any country around the world – including air and ocean freight container shipping to Czech Republic. Contact us now online to get started, or give us a call at 1-888-509-3213 to get started.