Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
The holiday season is a great time for celebrating and being with friends and family. However, more and more people are finding they need to move during this time period. Whether this is due to a sudden promotion at work or a company relocation (or something else), there are a number of factors to consider when making a move during this normally already chaotic time of the year.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Finding Moving Help.
Assuming that you have not had months and months to make your moving plans, the best first move will be to hire a professional moving company. Just be sure to do your proper research on all possible companies.
- Contact Several Movers—Ask them questions and then obtain a few estimates or quotes. Make sure you obtain at least three to get a good idea of the range of charges. Focus on having an in-house and written estimate rather than a quick over the phone quote.
- Simple Research—Begin by doing background checks on your potential movers. A great place to start is the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration site. This should help you to avoid many of the common moving scams.
- Ask For Discounts—This is typically a slower time of the year for moving companies. This means they might be more likely to negotiate and possibly offer discounts.
Weather & Traffic.
In many northern climates and areas the holidays can lead to unpredictable weather and traffic. You might not have much (if any) notice of any upcoming storms and these have the potential to really make things difficult for days at a time. Although you might not be able to control or avoid bad weather and traffic, there are some things you can do to be prepared:
- Pay Attention To Forecasts—The name of the game here is to keep looking, early and often. If anything is indeed coming, this will give you the most notice possible and allow for the best preparation.
- Winterize Everything—Even if you think things might be only a light storm, start getting winterized. Go ahead and start salting down the driveway and steps. Ensure that all your vehicles are ready to drive at a moments notice, with everything in good working order, strong tires and a full tank of gas.
- Be Prepared—The old boy scout model is very applicable here. Understand that the unexpected can happen at any time and take whatever action and preparation you think is appropriate.
Another major task for moving during the holidays (or anytime) is packing. The bottom line is that you need to start this as soon as possible and maybe even consider hiring a packing service if you are strapped for time. You might even have your friends or family over for a packing party.