Domestic USA & International Auto Shipping
- Quote Calculator
When you have decided to move, one of the next steps is to basically start researching potential moving companies. Obtaining some price estimates is important so that you have a better idea of your moving costs. There are several different types of moving estimates and they can also be handled in two main ways. There are a number of differences between obtaining phone estimates and / or in-house estimates. You need to know the differences before moving forward.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
How Phone Estimates Are Done.
While it is certainly much easier for a moving company to do a phone estimate, this is probably not the best option. Having said that, it may be a good start in some cases, so be sure to understand the process for conducting this:
- Walking Through—The most basic option involves the moving company rep asking you to walk through each room of the home. As this occurs, you will be describing all the items in each room that needs to be moved including the furniture, boxes, personal items, and anything else that you want the moving company to take.
- Estimate Provided—After this walk through is finished, the moving company rep will provide a quote. In some cases, they may need a little time to work things up and will call you back. In most cases, you will receive a fairly low and reasonable price quote or estimate.
- Possible Scam—Should the quote be accepted, it is possible the moving company will ultimately charge more than double this initial estimate. In some cases, this is a deliberate scam and the company holds your items hostage until the extra charges are paid. Other times, there were additional items added or not included in the walk through, which added to the weight of your shipment and its overall price.
Conducting An In-House Estimate.
Just looking at how an in-house estimate is structured and conducted should tell you it is much more serious than a phone estimate. Here is the general process:
- Initial Call—During the first call to the moving company an appointment is scheduled for one of their reps to come and actually look at what will be moved.
- Professional Walk Through—The movers are professionals and they go through the home on a room by room basis. Notes will likely be made of what is to be included in the move and they will also estimate the total weight. Since they can actually see (and touch, in some cases) what is to be moved, this offers a much better idea of the true weight and extent of your possessions.
- Estimate Provided—The movers can also ask questions and even make suggestions. This may lead you to consider taking more (or less) items yourself, rather than having them loaded on the truck. Finally, an estimated price is worked out, based on all the movers have seen and learned.