When it comes to moving in general and moving companies specifically, there is most certainly a correct and incorrect way to do things. You want to find a moving company that utilizes the proper policies and methods for loading, packing, unloading and transporting your valuable cargo. Here are some of the common moving company policies to look for.
Common Packing Policies
Before even getting into the proper packing rules, make sure that your potential mover actually will take the time to come out to your home and perform an assessment. This is the only way they can really tell how long it might take and give you a proper estimate.
Once they arrive, be sure to ask them your questions. Learn all about what methods and materials will be used for packing up everything, how many people will be included in their team, and even how they will pack up your fragile and valuable items (such as artwork and antiques).
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Proper Loading Policies
The actual physical act of taking your items out of the home and loading them onto the truck is certainly one of the most key elements of this whole procedure. This area should not be overlooked in terms of discussing how everything will be handled. Be sure to ask them about taking precautions like:
- Following all proper safety guidelines and regulations
- Having and using the right safety equipment (dollies, lifts, belts, straps, etc…)
- Ensuring the weight of the truck is evenly balanced in order to avoid trouble while on the road
Also, think about the procedures they will use to protect the inside of your home. This should include safety methods for preventing damage to your floors, carpets, and walls.
Transporting Your Belongings
Make sure that they only used experienced drivers as well as their policies regarding shuttle service. This might be required if your street is too narrow for a large moving truck to park out in front. In this case, the company may employ a shuttle service (or a smaller truck) to basically take several loads to the physical location of the truck. This may incur an extra charge, so be sure to ask.
Believe it or not, some movers will just simply unload all your stuff and leave them in the front or first room. You are then left having to fend for yourself to get everything to their proper rooms and positions, which could mean a lot more work on your part.
Other companies will gladly take all of your items and bring each of them to their designated room or location. Some may even be willing to set up and arrange the furniture for you (be sure to ask…a few companies may even arrange and rearrange until you are satisfied; others may only touch each piece once). Also, find out if they will hook up appliances for you.
Related Information & FAQ
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory