In some cases, we have too much stuff to take everything with us and keep in the new home. In other situations, we may need a temporary place to hold some of our things. Each move is going to have its own specifics and these are just a few of the many reasons to think about using self-storage facilities. Fortunately, there are a number of considerations and moving resources that can make it easier for you to decide which facility and location will be the best for your storage needs.
Bear In Mind…
Look at your positions with a critical eye. Moving is stressful enough, even with a minimal amount of stuff. It is a perfect chance to downsize, so consider donating, selling, or otherwise getting rid of unneeded or unwanted items. With that in mind, also consider the following:
- The more things you have, the more expensive storage will be. You could even hold a garage or yard sale to help pare down.
- The longer you plan to hold items in storage, the more you will pay. Perhaps there is another option for your excess stuff (a friend or relative)?
- Be sure to always obtain multiple quotes before choosing the best storage option.
- Think about using portable storage.
A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
Physically Inspect The Facility
Nothing beats a pair of eyes, especially your eyes. Be sure to look around and see that everything is well maintained or dirty and breaking down. The company should also have clear pest control policies in place.
Make sure to ask about their security policies. What type of security and/or surveillance do they offer? Also ask what their insurance policies are and compare them to your own company and plan. Also pay attention to whether or not they seem to be comfortable even answering these questions. Ask what types of things are prohibited, since this may vary from location to location.
Special Storage Needs
In some cases, you might store something special. This could involve a vehicle, boat, or wine. If any of these apply to your situation, be sure to as what they can do for you. Some will even specialize in one or more of these. For example, boat storage facilities are typically located either in or close to a marina or body of water.
With wine, you will need to have a climate controlled unit. This will preserve the integrity of your vintage. If you are storing expensive or rare wines, you should also place a premium on the security offered.
This may also be a viable option. The company will drop off a mobile container at your location, you pack it and then they come and pick it up. It is stored at their location or moved to your new location. This is a very economical option and it can also be very convenient.
Auto Transport Services
- A-1 Auto Transport Annual Scholarship
- Auto Transport Companies Directory
- Auto Transport: Car & Home Moving Guide
- Brands We Ship
- Brokers VS. Carriers
- Colleges We Ship To
- Cost Estimations By Distance & Locations
- Current Seasonal Discounts & Specials
- How Long Will It Take To Ship My Car?
- How Much Does It Cost?
- How To Prepare your Vehicle
- How to Protect Your Interests as a Client when Requesting Auto Shipping Services
- How To Ship a Vehicle: The Full Process
- Importing Your Car Into The USA
- Locations We Ship To
- Our Green Initiatives
- Our Philosophy
- Researching Brokers Beforehand
- Special Rates For Car Dealers
- The Top 4 National Auto Transport Companies
- US Laws and Standards on Importing a Motor Vehicle
- What Makes Us Better?
- Auto, Classic Car & Motorcycle Show Directory