Getting your items to your destination safely is what anyone expects from any moving company services they hire. However, there is one important thing to do immediately your mover arrives and offloads all your belongings. You will need to check them to ascertain that everything is in good condition. Usually, moving involves many activities and this makes it possible to misplace, or break one or two items. As such, before you let your mover go, it is advisable to check your household goods against your inventory list. Here is how to go about it.
- Check for missing items: Your inventory list is an important document that you need to have before you move to any new house. While it helps you in packing, it is great for establishing whether all your items have arrived in your new home. After you unload, use the inventory list to find out if there are any missing items. It is important to make sure that everything that was packed in the boxes or containers is intact. Do not just assume that since all the boxes are there, everything else is there –check for each and every item. In case of a missing item, notify the mover.
- Check for damaged items: Perhaps you have found that all the items are there –none is missing, but have you tried to establish whether they are all in good shape? Your inventory checklist comes handy in such cases. Take the time to review all your items and single out anything that is damaged, or broken. It is often important to have a video or photo evidence of all your items before you load them into the moving truck. Such evidence is necessary to clarify issues in case an item is found broken or damaged on arrival.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
- Notify your mover in case of anything: Use your inventory list to notify your mover of any missing or damaged item upon delivery. The moving company, as well should have its checklist to make a comparison –it makes the claiming process easier.
- Make a claim: If you have found any item that is not in the right condition, or is missing, it is important to make a claim with the moving company citing the specific issues of concern. It is advisable to ensure that you make your claim in writing for reference purposes –do not do it verbally.
- Provide evidence: Having an inventory is necessary for anybody moving to a new home. It becomes necessary when you are making a claim for lost goods, or items delivered in poor conditions. Nevertheless, it is not advisable to use an inventory list as the only evidence regarding the condition of your goods, or even when an item is missing. As such, you will need to provide additional evidence such as photos to back up your claims.
The process of moving items to a new home involves various activities. At times, items might break, or get lost on the way. Having an inventory list will help you ascertain the state of your household goods upon the arrival of your mover.