Moving scams: How to detect and avoid moving scams in Fountain Valley California
The residential moving industry has for long been infiltrated by scammers who continuously prey on your hard earned cash in exchange for reduced quality moving services. Most of these cheap moving service providers take advantage of a mover’s search for affordable relocation service to gain access to your money fraudulently. And with every passing day, they advance their techniques.
Therefore, whether a novice or a seasoned mover, you need to conduct thorough research of the Fountain Valley, California cheap movers you seek to hire and only engage the companies that have no blemish. But to get here, you first need to understand the different moving storage scams, how to recognize them and how to avoid them.
- Fake reviews and credentials: Dishonest Fountain Valley, California cheap moving companies know that most people will always first turn to the internet to verify the legitimacy of any moving and Storage Company and its quality of service. They, therefore, have their employees leave positive reviews to dupe innocent movers. Some will also present fake credentials when you inquire if they are licensed to run cross country and interstate moves or whether they are adequately insured to move your belongings.
- Hidden charges: Others, especially long distance moving companies, tend to introduce exorbitant hidden costs at exorbitant rates that inflate the moving quote based on flimsy excuses. For instance, instead of dismantling bulky furniture and electronics to facilitate more comfortable office moving, most will often result in hiring heavy lifting equipment and special trucks at higher prices.
- Lowballing: To get into your good books and get you to hire their full service moving package, moving and storage companies also tend to lowball on the moving quotes. They promise to meet all your moving needs at an affordable rate and provide moving supplies like packing boxes and moving truck at an unbeatable price only to either fail to show up or introduce unnecessary charges on a moving day.
A-1 Auto Transport can help you move your household goods nationwide. Call 888-509-3213 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote on interstate moving services.
How to identify them
- Insist on in-house inspection: There are only so many employees a scammer can have plaster them with positive reviews online. In such a case be wary of commercial movers with just a few highly positive reviews. Additionally, insist on having your trusted mover send a professional for in-house inspection where they can give a better breakdown of the costing of the move. Moreover, when verifying a company’s registration details, don’t hesitate to contact the state registrar of companies.
- Visiting local office: You can also smoke brokers and scammers out and edge closer to a stress-free move by insisting on visiting their premises. In case the local mover claims to have offices within the county, visit their facility and confirm their availability. You can also find out if they have a courteous and trained moving labor before hiring the mover. At this point, you will be met by excuses and even hostility since they either don’t have an operational base or the necessary resources to load and unload your household goods efficiently on the sub-hired trucks.
How to avoid them
- Thorough research: The first step towards dodging moving scams and having a less stressful move is by looking beyond the budget estimate into the mover’s quality of service and their brand reputation. Give priority to experienced movers that your friends or close acquaintances can vouch for when moving to a new neighborhood.
- Reading between the lines: You should also avoid signing onto blank moving contracts while reading the fine print to avoid hidden charges or being shortchanged. Some movers have been known to overpromise during verbal exchanges and only leave unattended some of the services such as unpacking your items after unloading them. Therefore, when dealing with your Fountain Valley, California (CA) mover, don’t concentrate on whether they deliver your wares on time lest you miss on the details of services offered.
Written By:Joe Webster
Joe Webster began his journey in the auto transport field by attending the University of Southern California (USC), where he graduated with a Bachelor of Business Marketing.
After college, he started his career in the auto transport industry from the bottom up and has done virtually every job there is to do at A-1 Auto Transport, including but not limited to: Truck Driver, Dispatch, Sales, PR, Bookkeeping, Transport Planner, Transport Manager, International Transport Manager, Brokering, Customer Service, and Marketing. Working with his mentor Tony Taylor, Joe Webster has learned the ins and outs of this industry which is largely misunderstood.
With over 30 years experience in the industry, we've been helping people ship their vehicles, motorcycles, RV's, heavy equipment, household goods and more across the country or overseas without a hitch. Ask us anything.