- What Is A Senior Move?
- Key Moving Company Inclusions For Seniors
- What Seniors Should Look For In A Moving Company
- Ensure They Provide The Services That You Require
- Read Any Available Reviews
- Get Quotes
- Inquire About Available Discounts
- Do Your Homework On The Company
- Compare Services
- The Best Moving Companies For Seniors In 2022
- A-1 Auto Transport
- Allied Van Lines
- North American Van Lines
- Wrapping Up
Hitting your retirement years and beyond doesn't mean your moving days are over.
In fact, according to the National Association of Realtors, seniors are the generation most likely to be selling their homes to change location, downsize to an apartment, or access co-housing arrangements.
But when it comes to moving, older people face unique challenges. For example, they may have a limited budget, mobility issues, and be unable to lift heavy items.
Happily, there are moving companies that specifically cater to these needs and can help make the moving process more manageable and less stressful for seniors.
So, look no further if you're looking for the best moving companies for seniors in 2022. We've put together a list of some of our favorite companies, so you can rest assured that your move will go smoothly from start to finish. Happy moving!
What Is a Senior Move?
A senior move is a move that is specifically designed to meet the needs of older adults. This can include downsizing to a smaller home, moving closer to family or friends, or moving to another state.
Whatever your reason for moving, it's crucial to find a moving company that can accommodate your specific needs.
You need professional movers who will take good care of your precious personal items, offer relevant specialty services, and make the process as easy and stress-free as possible.
Key Moving Company Inclusions for Seniors
The best moving companies for seniors are those that offer services specifically designed for the needs of retirees and senior living communities. Senior moving specialists should offer services like:
- Packing and unpacking services: These specialty services can be a lifesaver for senior living communities. Senior residents who are physically unable to pack and lift heavy boxes can rely on professional movers for this task.
- Transportation services: Many older people seek senior moving services to accommodate their accessibility needs. This includes wheelchair-accessible vans or trailers. (A full-service move from a reputable company can provide these additional services.)
- Storage services: If you're downsizing, sorting out fragile items, or decluttering your home, you may need a place to store some of your belongings. A senior moving service can arrange storage options if you're unable to accommodate everything in your new living facility or residence.
- Move coordination: A good senior move manager will help you plan and organize your entire move, from start to finish. Moving coordination allows you to predetermine the placement of everything from fragile items to furnishings to fit with your new floor plan.
- Discounts for seniors: Many moving companies and full-service movers offer a special discount for people who book their senior moving services, so be sure to ask about this when you're getting quotes. If a senior citizen is an army veteran, they may take advantage of military discounts that many service providers provide for military moves.
- Full-service moves: If you're looking for a comprehensive moving solution, then you should consider hiring a full-service moving company. Full-service movers provide everything from packing and transportation to unpacking and cleaning services, so you can relax and let them take care of everything. This type of move is perfect for seniors who need assistance with moving, have a lot of belongings, or are moving long-distance.
- Cleaning services: If you're downsizing or moving into a smaller home, cleaning out your old place can be a daunting task. Cleaning services are a great option for seniors who want to declutter their homes before moving day. Cleaning services can include everything from deep-cleaning your old home to vacuuming and wiping down your new one. Most moving companies will send a team of professional cleaners to take care of everything for you, so all you have to do is sit back and relax.
- Long-distance moving: If you're moving long-distance, it's important to find a moving company that can accommodate your needs. Long-distance moving can be stressful, so you'll want to find a company that can make the process as easy and stress-free as possible.
What Seniors Should Look for in a Moving Company
When you're looking for a moving company to help with moves for seniors, you should definitely compare services. It's helpful to check what additional services are included, particularly for long-distance moves. Here's how to evaluate moving services:
Ensure they provide the services that you require
Not all moving companies provide the same services for seniors, so choosing a company that aligns with your needs is essential. Check all aspects of the move with your senior move manager.
If you need assistance with packing and unpacking your belongings, storage solutions, or other specialty moving services, make sure this is included.
Read any available reviews
When it comes to something as personal and significant as moving, you will want to ensure that you collaborate with a business you can trust.
Checking testimonials from previous clients is valuable in choosing a reliable company. You can also check reviews about an individual senior move manager to see if they seem compatible with your needs.
If you want to avoid burdening your finances due to relocation, you should check the prices and packages offered by different moving firms before making a final choice. This process will enable you to compare prices and locate a firm within your budget.
Inquire about available discounts
While doing your research, inquire about a discount for seniors. Many companies provide a senior discount that can offset some of your other moving costs, such as cleaning services, packing services, and unpacking services.
Do your homework on the company
As well as checking out customer reviews, obtaining quotes, and inquiring about any discounts, you can seek out other company details to ensure they meet your needs.
For example, you can check out their website and spend some time reading the "About Us" page. This can provide insights into the company's principles, beliefs, and values. And don't forget to carefully read the company's policies before making any agreements.
Once you've established the services you would like included, you can compare package options across different companies. Be sure that the business you hire provides the services you are after in their entirety.
For example, if you want assistance with packing, check to ensure that the service includes unpacking your belongings at the end of the journey. Similarly, determine details about services such as storage solutions and any additional services you require.
The Best Moving Companies for Seniors in 2022
Now that you know what to look out for in a moving business, you can consider our list of the top moving companies for seniors in 2022.
These companies offer experience, reliability, and inclusive services suitable for seniors who are downsizing, undertaking long-distance moves, or moving into shared facilities.
A-1 Auto Transport
A-1 Auto Transporthas an excellent reputation and more than three decades of experience catering to all types of moving needs. With a comprehensive variety of services, excellent customer service, and competitive rates, A-1 Auto Transport is a great choice for seniors seeking a dependable moving service.
A-1 Auto Transport can safely relocate everything from your heaviest furnishings and appliances to your most precious and fragile personal items. They provide a host of specialized services, including storage services, and can even safely transport your pet.
A1 Auto Transport also has an outstanding reputation when it comes to long-distance moves, interstate moves, and international moves, and has earned an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Allied Van Lines
Allied Van Lines is another great option that caters to seniors' moving needs. They provide various services, such as a full-service option, labor-only services, and storage solutions.
With an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, Allied Van Lines is recognized for high-quality service and competitive rates. So when seeking a reliable moving company, Allied Van Lines is well worth considering.
North American Van Lines
North American Van Lines is also an excellent option for older people seeking professional moving services. They offer a wide range of service options, such as full-service packing, legacy services, storage, and even vehicle shipment.
If you require customized moving services, North American Van Lines provide additional services, including help with heavy lifting and shipping large items.
U-Pack is an excellent service for seniors relocating on a limited budget. They provide international moving services and customized moving services for long-distance moves. U-Pack also offers competitive rates for its complete packaging service.
U-Pack is another experienced company with an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau in recognition of exceptional service delivery. Their high-quality customer service makes them a solid choice as a long-distance mover in the US.
Moving in your senior years can be made much easier with the help of a moving company that understands your needs. So, we hope this list of the best moving companies for seniors 2022 will help you choose the right moving company for your relocation journey.
Remember to compare moving packages and pricing and check options for senior discounts. After all, you'll want your budget to stretch to a post-move celebration once you're moved into your new residence!