Car delivery is not a simple task and it should be done by professionals only. The reason is that it is not just a matter of moving a car from one place to another but it comprises of a whole lot of things that have to be considered before, during and after delivery. However, there have been many competent companies who have had to face a few unpleasant experiences and the same can be said about the customer also. The trick is to remember that we all, as humans are prone to error and a little understanding and knowledge can go a long way in resolving conflicts. So here is a checklist that will be useful for both the service provider as well as the customer so that the entire procedure becomes a pleasant one.
1- Choose Wisely
There are many ways to get a car delivered to your location but the most common ones are as follows –
- Hiring a driver – when the distance is less, it is best to get a driver as it is cheaper and most often, faster than having it transported using a vehicle carrier.
- Hiring a carrier – this is the better option when the distance is considerable, say from coast to coast. Although this is more expensive than hiring drivers, it is safer and also a more dependable option. Remember that there are different types of carriers such as closed and open ones, where the closed ones are more expensive.
Now getting back to the point of making the whole process a pleasant one, let us start with the priorities. For most people, the topmost priority will be the budget and that is where we almost always go wrong. Most companies would just suggest the first available carrier for your car and that may not be the cheapest one. However, sitting down and having a chat will really tell the company your needs which will prevent unpleasant misunderstandings later on.
2 – Start Early
When time is on your side, you can start by getting quotes a month or so ahead. This will help you to get the cheapest fare and chances are that the cheapest vehicle will be available for you. You will not only get the cheapest rate but will also be able to avoid last minute haggling over rates and available carriers.
3 – Keep it Clean, Tidy and Organised
There are many things that you will have to do on your part to ensure a pleasant car delivery.
- The Car – Vehicle Transport companies are only responsible for the condition of your vehicle but not for your personal belongings. There should be no personal items or anything that you consider valuable which if lost, would upset you.
- Your papers – Get your papers in order so that there will be no hitches anywhere. This includes –
- Your Original Title and Registration
- Photo Identification and Insurance papers
- In case you are shipping your car from one country to another, you might also require Import Duty.
4 – During the Journey
The stress factor will come into play when the car is not delivered on time. Choosing a company that has an easy tracking system will help you to relax. Keep in mind that there will be a delay of at least one or two days especially when the distance is more. There could be unavoidable delays like road accidents, punctured tires or empty fuels tanks.
A-1 Auto Transport ships vehicles worldwide. Click here or call 1-800-452-2880 to get a free, no obligation to buy price quote to ship your car.
5 – Finish Well
The game is not over when the car is delivered but there are a few more steps to be followed to bring about a happy ending.
- Note the Mileage – People have had unpleasant surprises with the mileage as they would have been expecting the same readings. When the car is picked up and dropped off with the help of a carrier, there should be no difference in the mileage of the car. You can shrug off one or two kilometers differences as the car might have been driven into the carrier and then, out again. However, if the readings vary widely, you can take it up with the company.
- Inspect the Entire Car – The car has to be delivered in exactly the same condition that it was shipped in. So put it under the microscope and scrutinize it thoroughly for scratches and dents that are unaccounted for. Open the bonnet, if you will, and check the engine to see if everything is as it should be. In case there are any damages, note it down and bring it to the attention of the manager or the person in charge before you make the payment.
Finally, end the story with a smile even if you are not happy with the services. A smile can turn any unpleasant scenes into amicable ones and if you still have a problem, do not complain to the person delivering the car. Instead, take it to the ones in charge of the auto delivery company so that they will be able to make the necessary amendments and compensations.