- Moving In Peak Season Why It Matters
- 10 Tips For Moving During The Peak Season
- 1 Avoid Packing Disasters
- 2 Get Organized
- 3 Reserve Your Moving Truck Early
- 4 Schedule Your Move For Mid-Week
- 5 Hire Professional Movers
- 6 Pack An Essentials Box
- 7 Have A Plan For Your Pets
- 8 Forward Your Mail
- 9 Update Your Contact Information
- 10 Take Some Time To Relax
- Don'ts When Moving During Peak Season
- 1 Don't Procrastinate
- 2 Don't Forget To Plan For Weather Delays
- 3 Don't Try To Do It All Yourself
- 4 Don't Forget About Your Utilities
- 5 Don't Wait Until The Last Minute To Pack
- 6 Don't Forget About Your Insurance
- 7 Don't Overlook The Details
- 8 Don't Stress Yourself Out
- 9 Don't Forget About Your Budget
- 10 Don't Forget To Enjoy The Process
- What Is The Best Time Of Year To Move?
- How Can I Save Money When Moving?
The weather is getting warmer, the days are getting longer, and that can only mean one thing: it's peak moving season! So, if you're in the process of moving or you're about to start packing up your house, you'll want to check out these ten tips for moving during the peak moving season.
We'll cover everything from avoiding packing disasters to ensuring your belongings arrive safe and sound at your destination. Keep reading to learn more.
Moving in peak season: Why it matters
The peak moving season is generally considered May through September, coinciding with the end of the school year in the late spring and extending through the summer months. With kids on summer break, a summer move is ideal. However, it's also the busiest time of year for the moving industry. That means you'll need to plan and be prepared for a few potential bumps in the road.
Here are some of the reasons why you should pay attention to the peak moving season:
- More traffic on the roads could lead to delays. You'll need to account for increased traffic on the highways if you're moving long-distance. So, plan your route accordingly and give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination.
- You may have trouble booking a moving truck. Since more people are moving during the peak season, it may be difficult to book a moving truck. If you're set on using a particular company, reserve your truck as early as possible.
- The cost of movers may be higher. Moving companies tend to charge more during the peak season. If you're working with a budget, this is something to keep in mind. Get quotes from several different companies to compare prices.
- Your belongings could be delayed. If you're shipping your belongings via truck or train, there's a chance they could be delayed due to the increased volume of shipments. Make sure you allow plenty of time for your belongings to arrive at your new home.
Now that you know a little more about the peak moving season let's look at some tips on making the most of it.
10 tips for moving during the peak season
Make the most of your peak season move with these ten tips:
1. Avoid packing disasters
One of the worst things during a high season or school year is dealing with a packing disaster. Pack your belongings appropriately in their respective storage space and use suitable materials for different types of items.
For example, if you're packing fragile items, use bubble wrap or packing peanuts for extra protection. Also, don't forget to label all of your boxes. This will save you time and frustration when unpacking at your new home.
2. Get organized
The key to a successful move is organization. First, list everything you need to do and put it where you can easily refer to it. This will help you stay on track and avoid forgetting important tasks as you approach the moving date.
3. Reserve your moving truck early
If you plan to rent a moving truck from a moving company, reserve it as early as possible. This will ensure that you get the truck you want and avoid last-minute headaches.
4. Schedule your move for mid-week
The weekend is the busiest time for movers. So, you'll likely have an easier time if you can schedule your move for mid-week. Also, it'll be less expensive since most companies offer discounts for weekday moves.
5. Hire professional movers
Hiring professional movers is always a good idea, but it's especially beneficial during the peak season. They'll be able to handle the heavy lifting and make sure your belongings are properly packed and protected.
6. Pack an essentials box
When you're packing for your move during the busiest moving season, pack an essentials box with everything you'll need for the first few days in your new home. This should include items like toiletries, snacks, and a change of clothes.
7. Have a plan for your pets
If you're moving with pets, it's essential to have a plan for them on moving day. This may mean hiring a pet sitter or asking a friend to watch them while you're busy moving.
8. Forward your mail
Don't forget to forward your mail to your new address! This is an important step that's often overlooked. Make sure to relay this information to your chosen moving services to avoid moving discrepancies.
9. Update your contact information
Update your contact information with everyone who needs it, including your employer, doctor, and financial institutions.
10. Take some time to relax
Moving can be stressful. So, take some time for yourself during the process. Take a few deep breaths and remind yourself that everything will eventually get sorted out.
Don'ts when moving during peak season
There are also a few things you should avoid doing when moving during the peak season. These include the following:
1. Don't procrastinate
As we mentioned before, it's essential to get organized and list everything you need to do. But don't stop there! Once you have your list, start checking items off as soon as possible. The last thing you want is to be scrambling at the last minute.
2. Don't forget to plan for weather delays
During the summer, be prepared for potential weather delays if you're moving. This may mean having a backup plan for your belongings or hiring additional help.
3. Don't try to do it all yourself
Remember, you don't have to do everything by yourself. If you're feeling overwhelmed, ask for help from family and friends or hire professional movers.
4. Don't forget about your utilities
One of the most important things to remember when moving is to update your utilities. This includes your electricity, gas, water, and trash service. Contact the appropriate companies a few weeks before your move to ensure that everything can be transferred appropriately.
5. Don't wait until the last minute to pack
Packing is one of the most time-consuming parts of moving. So, don't wait until the last minute to do it. Instead, start packing as soon as possible. Be sure to label all of your boxes. This way, you know what's inside.
6. Don't forget about your insurance
If you're hiring a moving truck, get insurance. This will protect you in the event of an accident or property damage
7. Don't overlook the details
Many small details must be taken care of when moving. Make sure not to overlook them. Things like changing your address, transferring your utilities, and packing an essentials box are essential steps that should not be forgotten.
8. Don't stress yourself out
Moving can be stressful. But make sure you do not stress yourself out too much. Instead, take some time to relax and take breaks when needed.
9. Don't forget about your budget
It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of moving and start spending money left and right. But remember your budget and stick to it. Make a list of what you need and what you can live without, and only buy what's necessary.
10. Don't forget to enjoy the process
Moving can be a lot of work. But it can also be exciting! Take some time to enjoy the process and create new memories in your new home.
What is the best time of year to move?
The best time of year to move depends on your circumstances. If you're looking for cheaper moving rates, you may want to consider moving during the off-season. But if you're looking for flexible scheduling options, the peak season may be better.
How can I save money when moving?
Here are ways you can save money when moving. One way is to do as much of the work yourself as possible. This includes packing, loading, and driving the moving truck.
Another way to save money is to move during the off-season when rates are typically lower.
Finally, compare quotes from multiple moving companies before choosing one.
What are some things I should avoid doing when moving?
There are various things you must avoid doing when moving. One is procrastinating and leaving everything until the last minute. Another is forgetting to update your utilities or insurance. If possible, consider scheduling your appointment for the next off-peak moving season.
Finally, don't try to do everything yourself. Ask your family and friends or even hire professional movers for help.
Moving can be stressful, but it doesn't have to be! By following the tips mentioned in this article, you can ensure that your move goes as smoothly as possible. Just keep in mind that the most important thing is to enjoy the process and look forward to creating new memories in your new home.
Need to transport your vehicle for your move? To learn more about moving vehicles during the peak season, get in touch with us today. We offer a variety of moving services, including vehicle shipping and long distance moving services.